Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kushagra
Frequent Visitor

URL Filtering not working

Hi I have tried filtering powerbi report using url filters, but unable to make it filter the published report

{url of report}/ReportSection?filter='Sheet1'/name eq 'Samuel Jack'

Any help is appreaciated. Thanks in advance

Kushagra_0-1677855464792.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kushagra 

A couple of suggestions that may help:

1. Does your table Sheet1 contain the column Sheet1[name]?
    Just checking, since the column used in the visual appears to be name column.
    If it doesn't exist, you could create a name column and set it equal to name column
  2. Column names used in URL parameter filters only work if they don't contain spaces.
  3. In my testing, filters will not work if table names are enclosed in single quotes, so remove the single quotes around Sheet1.

Putting this together, as long as your table Sheet1 contains the column name, this should work:

{url of report}/ReportSection?filter=Sheet1/name eq 'Samuel Jack'

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cbrsmus195
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to use a URL for Employee Name.  Does the limitation for filtering on a URL still have to be a single name without spaces?  Or, does anyone have other suggestions to work around this?  We have a page with multiple reports/visuals, all relating to the Employee.  I'm trying to see if I give the URL to this page, but then just with a specific Employee Name, how to do this.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi @cbrsmus195 

Yes spaces are allowed in the URL filter parameter.

For example, I published the attached PBIX and this form of URL filters the report correctly:

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX/ReportSection?filter=Employee/Name eq 'Will Graham' 

The spaces and other punctuation marks within the parameter will be converted with percent-encoding (%20 etc) and can also be entered that way in the first place.

Regards

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kushagra 

A couple of suggestions that may help:

1. Does your table Sheet1 contain the column Sheet1[name]?
    Just checking, since the column used in the visual appears to be name column.
    If it doesn't exist, you could create a name column and set it equal to name column
  2. Column names used in URL parameter filters only work if they don't contain spaces.
  3. In my testing, filters will not work if table names are enclosed in single quotes, so remove the single quotes around Sheet1.

Putting this together, as long as your table Sheet1 contains the column name, this should work:

{url of report}/ReportSection?filter=Sheet1/name eq 'Samuel Jack'

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi Owen, 

I tried using a new report, with correct names of table and columns, but it still wont work. Is this a limitation of PowerBI Pro license for a report that is published?

How my data looks has been shared below for reference - 

Visualization view -

Kushagra_3-1678084310981.png

Dataset - 

Kushagra_1-1678084013916.png

After publishing, my url to test this filtering is - {url of the report}/ReportSection?filter=Salary/emp eq 'Jack'

Yet there is no update on the filter (both with and without filter lock on PowerBI desktop)

Kushagra_2-1678084214470.png

Hi again @Kushagra 

That's odd that it's not working at your end. Have you had any success since your last message?

I have created and published a report essentially identical that in your last post, and the URL filter you posted works as intended. I used an account without a Pro licence and published to My Workspace.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors