Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totals Row behavior measure verse calculated column

Hi All,

I've been trying to work only with measures not calculated columns because I've seen a few people say that they are way better and can do everything, but I'm stuck on something I can't seem to do in a measure. I think in this case I actually need to use a calculated column, so hoping for a response from one of those people who have said they never use calculated columns because measures can do everything.

OnlyPositives = If([Value]>0,[Value],0)

Category       Value       OnlyPositives

A                     -5            0

B                      1             3

C                      2             4

Total               -2             0

This is what I currently have, but actually I want the total value of [OnlyPositives] to add up to 7. I understand that measures dont evaluate at a row level and therefore it is doing what I told it to, since -2 is >0 it is displaying 0.

My conclusion is that I do have to use calculated columns to do this. Which is quite frustrating because there are a tonne of measures which feed into [Value]. If I want to convert this to a calculated column I'm basically going to have to remake everything I've done in measures to calculated columns - which makes me want to just use calculated columns again in the future.

I have tried to make a single calculated column which references [Value] but I've spend a while on it already and am having trouble making it match up, so before I go further I was hoping to get a weigh in to make sure my thinking is right.

Thanks superstars.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Have you tried sumx function

Measure = SUMX('Table',IF('Table'[Value]>0,'Table'[Value],0))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Have you tried sumx function

Measure = SUMX('Table',IF('Table'[Value]>0,'Table'[Value],0))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

It's very basic but something I hadn't learnt yet.

Power BI Community to the rescue!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors