Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Suganthy

Tooltips is only showing the first value , need to show respective value of a record in tooltip

Hi All, 

I wanted to show the respective record values in the tooltip, but I could see only the first value if I use that column in the tooltip, I have tried using the report page tooltip but I am seeing all the records with respect to that record, below is the screenshot attached 

1. In the below image shows the first value of a record( Marketing) wherein it should show sales

Suganthy_0-1643282404413.pngSuganthy_1-1643282459941.png

2. while using the report page tooltip I could see all the records associated with that

Suganthy_2-1643282606251.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards, 

Suganthy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Suganthy 

For regular Tooltip, It currently only supports displaying one-line record at a time. You may consider voting for similar idea in Power BI Ideas. Then, use report tooltip as you mentioned as a workaround.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Suganthy 

Please create a Measure firstly and then use it as the Tooltip of this visual.

Depart =

VAR midVal =

DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Department] )

RETURN

IF ( midVal = 2, "Marketing&sales", MIN ( 'Table'[Department] ) )

Then, the result should look like this.

vcazhengmsft_1-1643707433111.png

Also, attached the pbix file as reference.

Best Regards,

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Hi,

The issue is, I wanted to show what department each of them is associated for eg: "E" 's department is  "sales"

Suganthy_0-1643708565660.png

but e is a parent for other people who are in sales so it shows both marketing & sales. Is there a way to show only the row-level value of that person?

Hi @Suganthy 

For regular Tooltip, It currently only supports displaying one-line record at a time. You may consider voting for similar idea in Power BI Ideas. Then, use report tooltip as you mentioned as a workaround.

Best Regards,

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Suganthy

I have tried creating a measure by using min /max function still couldn't get the desired output, its talking min of all records associated with that record

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I recommend creating a measure that returns the desired value and place this in the tooltip.

e.g.

ValtteriN_0-1643283207626.png

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ValtteriN I'm still somewhat new to PBI, can you share how you did that?

Here is example data:

ValtteriN_0-1684054208232.png

Simple measure = MAX('Table (32)'[Department])

When this is placed to a tooltip the decomposition tree will for example show department A for id's 1 and 2. Using MAX or e.g. SELECTEDVALUE will preserve the filter context and return the desired values instead of first value. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ValtteriN Thank you for sharing. It didn't work for me. When I put the MAX measure in the Tooltip, it just says MAX 1162. It must be something else I have going on that's conflicting with it. Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors