Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RGR
Frequent Visitor

TOPN with parameters & slicers

Hello all,

I have a table with weather details.
Every day, for 50 years, details like max. temp & mm. rain are updated.

Below you see a screenshot of an overview page, with on top the parameter (12 items) and on the right slicers for year / decade / month / date etc.

I would like only the bars for the top10 results to be shown. For example the top 10 days/weeks/months/years based on total mm. rain for the past 50 years ... or the top 10 days/weeks/months/years based on the average max. temp in the past 50 years ... and so on.

Besides that would it be nice of the bar of this year would have an slighty different color.

Would appereciate your help / tips very much.
Thkx in advance, Rud.

RGR_0-1703668550864.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

see attached for an approximation.  Your "TOP 10"  request is very complex, and may not be needed.

I am not aware of an automatic indentation option - you will need to traverse the matrix hierarchy yourself after you selected the filter granularity.

lbendlin_0-1704060631115.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

RGR
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much for your reply !

I hope this will make things clear.

Below you'll find a link to the source data.
This is weather data since 1951.
Data2 source 

I would like to visualize the following in a bar chart:

Top10 for all the items for all the periods (by slicer).

For example:
TOP10 years (desc) for the month jan. with the most monthly rain in mm.
TOP10 years (desc) for the years mith the most anual rain in mm.
TOP10 years (desc) for the days 01-march with the most daily rain on that day.
And so on, depending on slicer settings (see attachment).

Same for the average max. temp / min. temp.

If the current year is in the TOP10, the bar of the current year should be in a different colour.

Hope this gives a better understanding.

Thankx in advance and all the best for 2024 for you (all).
Best regards, Rud.

Please confirm that you need bar charts for all of these - that would mean you couldn't use a proper calendar table.

Alternatively you could use table visuals.

lbendlin_0-1703977470624.png

RGR
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much again!

It must be due to my bad English, but this is not what i'm looking for. Your table shows the max. value of rain for 1 day in jan.

What i'm looking for is:
How is a specific period (could be a single day, week, month, quarter or year) be compared to the top 10 of the same period in previous years.

Example:
The amount of rain on 15-01-23, how does it compare to the amount of rain on the same day (15-01) in the previous years. And show it in a bar chart with the top 10 results (years) desc.
Or,
The total amount of rain for december 2023, how does it compare to the total amount of rain in the same month (december) in the previous years. And show it in a bar chart with the top 10 results (years) desc.
Or,
The average max. temp for the month of june 2023, how does it compare to the the average max. temp. in the same month (june) in the previous years. And show it in a bar chart with the top 10 results (years) desc.

The period (date/week/month/quarter...) must be dynamic, so handled by slicer (not by filter).

Below a sample of how it should look like, beware this is NOT based on my data. Just to give you an idea.

RGR_0-1704014662020.png

Again many thanks for trying to help me out with this!!

Best regards, Rud.

see attached for an approximation.  Your "TOP 10"  request is very complex, and may not be needed.

I am not aware of an automatic indentation option - you will need to traverse the matrix hierarchy yourself after you selected the filter granularity.

lbendlin_0-1704060631115.png

RGR
Frequent Visitor

Many thanks for the response, and first of all I would like to wish you a good and prosperous 2024 and let you know that your words "it is very complex" makes me feel less stupid 🙂

I wasn't familiar with the 'include' yet, so I'm going to look into that further. Looks promising. Perhaps I can use it by creating a separate measurement for each item (mm. rain - avg.temp etc.) and combining that with a parameter and topN.
By the way, at the av. temp. the intention was not to add these up (sum) but to calculate the average (average), but that is a small matter.

Many thanks again!!

Best regards, Rud.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.