Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeking for a way to split the column which are not in same format

Hello everyone,
Morning!

I hope you guys are doing well.
Appreciate all your replies

I had a column in Power BI, where the data was not in the same format, and I am looking for splitting that column where it starts with year.

For example 
IDColumn
1PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-2018 (3 delimiters)
2PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-2018-2021 (4 delimiters)
3Power Automate-END100-2016 (2 delimiters)
4PowerBI-Automate-Dax100-End100- 2021-2021 (5 delimiter's)
I want to split that column where it starts with years.

Thank you everyone.

Looking forward for your responses.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You can use split and merge in power query,  I duplicated the column and just remove the digits other the year by replace "100" with nothing, then you can just split by non-digits and digits.

Please copy the code in advanced editor or just download the example pbix to check the applied steps in query editor. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrIL08tcvLUdUmsMDQw0PXNTC7KL85PK9E1MjC0UIrViVYyIqQKSBgZgpUaw5QqOJaW5OcmlqTquvq5gHQA1ZmBlZggmQZXBDXWNS8FRCmAzIMaGgsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Column = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Column", type text}}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column", "Column - Copy"),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column","100","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column - Copy"}),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition((c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c), {"0".."9"}), {"Column - Copy.1", "Column - Copy.2", "Column - Copy.3"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Character Transition",{"Column - Copy.2", "Column - Copy.3"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Year")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Vpazhenmsft_1-1635300899913.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You can use split and merge in power query,  I duplicated the column and just remove the digits other the year by replace "100" with nothing, then you can just split by non-digits and digits.

Please copy the code in advanced editor or just download the example pbix to check the applied steps in query editor. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUQrIL08tcvLUdUmsMDQw0PXNTC7KL85PK9E1MjC0UIrViVYyIqQKSBgZgpUaw5QqOJaW5OcmlqTquvq5gHQA1ZmBlZggmQZXBDXWNS8FRCmAzIMaGgsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Column = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Column", type text}}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column", "Column - Copy"),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column","100","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column - Copy"}),
    #"Split Column by Character Transition" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Column - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition((c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c), {"0".."9"}), {"Column - Copy.1", "Column - Copy.2", "Column - Copy.3"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Character Transition",{"Column - Copy.2", "Column - Copy.3"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Year")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Vpazhenmsft_1-1635300899913.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you share a result table you are looking for?

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

IDColumnResult column
1PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-20182018
2PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-2018-20212018-2021
3Power Automate-END100-20162016
4PowerBI-Automate-Dax100-End100- 2021-20212021-2021

Thanks for following up 

Hi @Anonymous 

Try this to add a new column:

Year Column = RIGHT([Column],LEN([Column])-SEARCH("20",[Column])+1)

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi VahidDM, 

I am getting an error while using that function. 

The error was - "The Search Text provided to function SEARCH could not be found in the given text.

Thanks 

Hi @Anonymous 

That because there is value in the column that does not have year, so Try this:

Year Column =
IFERROR(RIGHT([Column],LEN([Column])-SEARCH("20",[Column])+1),blank())

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks VahidDM,

It worked as I required. But It came up with a new problem where it was extracting wrongly for few columns.

For example

IDColumnResult column
1PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-20182018
2PowerBI-Dax201-Microsoft-2018-2021201-Microsoft-2018-2021
3Power Automate-END100-20162016
4PowerBI-Automate-Dax205-End100- 2021-2021Dax205-End100- 2021-2021
And here I want to say that for every value in that column has years at ending. 

I am looking to get only years out of that column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.