Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yossi16
Regular Visitor

SELECTEDVALUE Question

Hello,

Is it possible to return a table with the filter of the SELECTEDVALUE function? I tried to do it with a calculated table, but it won't let me. Additionally, I attempted to use a measure, but I encountered a scalar error that prevented me from achieving the desired result.

What would you suggest as my best option?

Something like that... 

Peers_industry = FILTER( DWH_Lookup_Companies, DWH_Lookup_Companies[Industry] = SELECTEDVALUE(DWH_Lookup_Companies[Industry]) )

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Yossi16 

I guess what you want to achieve is when you select either Roni or Sami the table will be filtered down to only both rows because they both share the same School. 
There are a number of methods to accomplish this however none of them can be a calculated table as calculated tables/columns do not interact with the filter context. Therefore, I would suggest to simply have a disconnected table of the names. The you can create a filter measure that you can place in the filter pane of the table visual and  select "is" 1 then apply the filter

FilterMeasure =
INT (
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[School] )
IN CALCULATETABLE (
VALUES ( 'Table'[Scoop] ),
'Table'[Name] IN VALUES ( Names[Name] ),
ALLSELECTED ()
)
)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Yossi16 

I guess what you want to achieve is when you select either Roni or Sami the table will be filtered down to only both rows because they both share the same School. 
There are a number of methods to accomplish this however none of them can be a calculated table as calculated tables/columns do not interact with the filter context. Therefore, I would suggest to simply have a disconnected table of the names. The you can create a filter measure that you can place in the filter pane of the table visual and  select "is" 1 then apply the filter

FilterMeasure =
INT (
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[School] )
IN CALCULATETABLE (
VALUES ( 'Table'[Scoop] ),
'Table'[Name] IN VALUES ( Names[Name] ),
ALLSELECTED ()
)
)

Great! Thank you.

It's not clear what you are trying to do. Is peers_industry supposed to be a measure, a calc colum, or a new table?  The DAX you have written is a table function, so it can only be used by creating a "new table". Measures and columns must return scalar values, not tables. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Alright, I will try to explain myself better:

I have a slicer that selects a specific value from a table. My goal is to retrieve another value from the same row as the selected value and use it as a filter in a Matrix visual. This way, the Matrix will display a table with only the data that matches this specific filter.

For example, if the selected value in the table is "Dan," I want to filter the Matrix to display only data related to "UCLA."

I hope this clarification helps. 

Yossi16_0-1686465685482.png

Thank you

It sounds like you do not have a dimensional model. I could be wrong. Read my article here. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/the-optimal-shape-for-power-pivot-data/

if you have a dimensional model, this type of filtering behaviour happens automatically. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors