Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running Total returns wrong value

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the running total quick measures. I've added in the base as the sum of couriers and the field as the start date. 

As you can see below, the running totals aren't correct. Could you let me know what I've done wrong please? I'm trying to calculcate how many couriers there are per month in each quarter & year. 

Thanks! 

cchevonne_0-1634909550432.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You need to create a calendar table with distinct dates, and connect that date column to your current created at date. Then you would use the new calendar date in the filter expression. For example, if you data is from 2020 to 2021, try

1. Create a calendar table =Calendar(date(2020,11), date(2021,12,31))
2. Connect the new date table with Created_At. 

3. create the measure:

Measure = calculate(sum(sheet1[value]), Filter(allselected(calendar table), isonorafter(calendar table[date], max(calendar table[date]), desc))

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You need to create a calendar table with distinct dates, and connect that date column to your current created at date. Then you would use the new calendar date in the filter expression. For example, if you data is from 2020 to 2021, try

1. Create a calendar table =Calendar(date(2020,11), date(2021,12,31))
2. Connect the new date table with Created_At. 

3. create the measure:

Measure = calculate(sum(sheet1[value]), Filter(allselected(calendar table), isonorafter(calendar table[date], max(calendar table[date]), desc))

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

YukiK
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Are you using Is_created_at in the table? Or different columns? The same formula works like a charm on my end:

YukiK_0-1634913660854.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are columns and not from the table. I wasn't sure how to reference to the column. 

I'll try your formula, thanks

YukiK
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You'd need to create a relationship between that table and your Sheet1 on Created_at column. And When you create a quick measure, don't place created_at column but instead, place date column that's on the related table.

Hope that makes sense

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you send me a screenshot of your relationships please? 

YukiK
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This is just test tables. Please adjust according to your model. You can drag and drop a column to another column in a different table

YukiK_0-1634915371624.png

Please gives a thumbs up if this is helpful!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't able to do a many to one. I don't quite understand relationships so I think I might have to go and read up on it then figure out how to reference the table in the running total. 

cchevonne_0-1634915669785.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors