Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrewnzinuk
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security and Roles

I have a table called Cost_Centre, within that table I have a column called UPN which is the UPN of the cost_Centre manager. This column can have multiple values in it. For example I have placed the following in the UPN colum :

james@abc.com

mary@abc.com

Cindy@abc.com; Mark@abc.com

harry@abc.com

If I login as Mark@abc.com - I want to only see rows that Mark can see . I have created a role and added a filter on the UPN column - and was hoping to restrict rows based on the UPN value in the column.

This works when I only have a single user in the UPN column - but sometimes I need more than one person :

When logged in as Mark this works with Mark@abc.com as the only value in the UPN column for the row :

=dim_CostCentre[UPN] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

So I have tried this with the string with multiple users  - and cannot make it work :

IF(CONTAINS('dim_CostCentre',dim_CostCentre[UPN],USERPRINCIPALNAME())

When logged in as Mark @abc.com no rows are visible. I think the contains is working on the column and not the row. Any ideas on how I can make this work.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try this instead for your RLS filter. If performance poor, you could alway split your text into a list with Text.Split and expand that list to new rows and use your simpler filter expression.

CONTAINSSTRING(dim_CostCentre[UPN], USERPRINCIPALNAME() )

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Hi Pat

Went back to CONTAINSSTRING and worked perfectly as far as I have tested it.

My issues was I was running on Analysis Services 2017 - upgraded to 2022 and it worked.

I think 2019 would work as well.

Cheers

Hi Pat

Tried that - unfortunately my Visual Studio does not recognise that DAX function. I am not sure if it relates to my version of Analysis Services - which is SQL 2017. I was going to upgrade and see if CONTAINSSTRING will be accepted, is it a relatively new function . Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors