Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

maashi
Frequent Visitor

Replicating an excel VLOOKUP function

Hi there

I would like to replicate a VLOOKUP type function in Power BI. 

I need to look up a column of sales order numbers to see if it has been used in the past. Currently in excel I do it as a vlookup, then eliminate double ups, copy and paste the final column into another worksheet and count this final column.

Would like to replicate all this with a measure. 

Have tried to use the CONTAINS function to mimic the VLOOKUP, then hoping to DISTINCTCOUNT the result. But i don't think it wants to work in VAR/RETURN - do I have to define a measure within a measure.

Here is what I have tried

NCP on NCP =
Var NCPonNCPList =
    FILTER (
        ALL ( fact_NCP_Reporting ),
        CONTAINS (
            fact_NCP_Reporting,
            fact_NCP_Reporting[Sales Order No], fact_NCP_Reporting[Original Sales Order]
        )
    )
RETURN
    DISTINCTCOUNT (NCPonNCPList)

I hope the below sample data link works to show what i have been doing in Excel, I do it on a monthly basis. 

Thank you

Marcy

3 REPLIES 3
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@maashi I am glad to help you.
Hello,@Irwan thanks for your concern about this issue.

Your answer is excellent!
May I ask if you have found a suitable solution, and if you have, please share them as it will help more users with similar problems. Or you can mark the valid suggestions provided by other users as solutions.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Irwan
Resolver I
Resolver I

hello @maashi 

please check if this will acommodate your need.

First, create a new calculated column

Working Column =
var _order = 'Table2_2'[Original Sales Order]
Return
MAXX(FILTER('Table2_2','Table2_2'[Sales Order No]=_order),'Table2_2'[Sales Order No])

Irwan_1-1718684352206.png

then create new measure 

NCP on NCP = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table2_2'[Working Column])

Irwan_0-1718684303857.png

Here i tried matching up this DAX with your sample data

Irwan_2-1718685317086.png

Irwan_3-1718685470878.png

Also, i dont know if you provide dummy data, but the sample data you provide has wrong date format (date and month placement are switched). Please make sure your date format is correct before proceeding to next calculation.

Hope this will help you.

Thank you.

maashi
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Yes it is dummy data, plus I'm in New Zealand, we use DDMMYYYY. 

I don't suppose there is a solution without creating a calculating column? I felt like I was doing it already in an extremely clumsy way in Excel, with the extra working columns, but it is much easier to add columns in excel so I just carried on with it.  The dataset I will be using is quite big and growing daily so I was hoping not to add any columns in, but if there isn't, I'll definitely have a go with this solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.