Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Related() issue

Hi All, 

I'm kind of new to Power BI, and I am having some issues with the related() function, as I am trying to relate a column to a different sheet but get the error "The column 'Sheetname[Column name]' either doesn't exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available in the current context." I have made sure that there are no duplicates or blanks in both sheets. Also I noticed that the relationship cannot be changed from many to many to other relationships as I get the error "The cardinality you selected isn't valid for this relationship".

Can anyone please help me in knowing the reason behind this? would be much appreciated!

Haya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

RELATED doesn't works because DAX is based on Expanded tables concept, where each table on the one side of the relationship expands to the related table on the many side, just like LEFT join in SQL, and RELATED only allows you to access columns of an expanded table, but table expansion doesn't happens in case of many to many relationships. so you will have to either create a bridge table, or create dimensions properly or you use something like this :

=
MINX ( RELATEDTABLE ( Table ), Table[ColumnName] )

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/expanded-tables-in-dax/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

RELATED doesn't works because DAX is based on Expanded tables concept, where each table on the one side of the relationship expands to the related table on the many side, just like LEFT join in SQL, and RELATED only allows you to access columns of an expanded table, but table expansion doesn't happens in case of many to many relationships. so you will have to either create a bridge table, or create dimensions properly or you use something like this :

=
MINX ( RELATEDTABLE ( Table ), Table[ColumnName] )

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/expanded-tables-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This actually worked 🙂 

Related is not a very common function to use if you build a good data model and good DAX. There is a lot to learn. Unlike Excel, the relationships are normally modelled in the model view and most of the rest can work from there without using the related function. But of course it depends what you are trying to do. 

my article here should help you get started. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/the-optimal-shape-for-power-pivot-data/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.