Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quarterly Data Doesn't show up properly

dominicpowerbi_0-1613055574246.pngdominicpowerbi_1-1613055597396.png
I'm trying to create something similar to the illustration on the left. However, the illustration on the right side is what I've achieved so far. The current problem that I have is regarding the quarterly data.

As you can see that the selected MonthYear on the slicer is Dec-20 Which is the 4th quarter in a year. The expected result should contain the sum data of Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4. However, what I have right now with my measure it could only return value from Q2, Q3, amd Q4. It's even worst that if I select JAN it doesn't show anything at all. I hope that someone could take a look at the sample file I've created with dummy data and help me understand what's going on and why my code doesn't work. If someone could come up with a better on how to create view in a database or change data model to make it looks like the illustration on the left side it would very be helpful. If not then just fixing the already existed visualization to display all Quarter data would be very appreciated as well. 

dominicpowerbi_2-1613056240441.png

Slicer = Dec-20
On the left side it display values of Jan until Dec which is the expected result. However, as soon as I remove the MonthYear column from the visualization some data became missing. For example, data for JAN is gone and so on.  

Thank you in advance! 🙂

Here is the sample PowerBI file with some mock-up data and pre-created DAX measure.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/401l8b3mmowoxbf/Sample.pbix?dl=0

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

This requries a total model overhaul. I've spent 15min in this already and I keep finding issues that need to be fixed, so let me give some guidance on how to proceed.

1. You must have a legitimate date table. A date table has a date field that:
    1. has the first date in your model you need (and usually should be the first day of that year, so if the first date in your model is July 3, 2020 and you are calendar year, it should be Jan 1, 2020)
    2. Has the last date (and corresponding last day of the year, so Dec 31, 2020)
    3. Has every date between. No skips. So if it is 2020, it should be 366 rows (has leap year)
    4. You mark it as a date table in Power BI - right-click on it and Mark as Date Table
    5. Turn off Automatic Date/Time Intelligene in both Global Options and Local Options. This is critical.
  2. Every measure that uses time intelligence should use that date table and date column.
  3. Clean up your measures and table. You have a C table and a CALENDARDISCONNECTEDTABLE table. You should generally only have one data table, but if you have multiple, (that is ok in some circumstances) they should all be marked as a date table, and not disconnected.

There is no quick fix here. I added a date table to your model and started replacing fields using the date table, but then I got into a quagmire of trying to fix and understand the mix of measures and calculated columns and decided to respond with this advice thus far.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors