Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ChPetru
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI dataset simple relationship issue

Hello guys,

I am unable to understand why I cannot create visuals with data from my two fact tables joined through a dimension table. The schema is described below, I joined the two tables through a dimension based on the same id.

If I want to create a visual in which I pull attributes from Fact One and Fact Two, i get an error saying there is no valid relationship between the tables. I tried switching the cross filter direction to 'both' for both relationships: did not work.  Tried to pull attributes from all three tables, thinking that maybe all three tables have to contribute to the visual for it to work. Same issue.

The only way I can link the two tables in the same visual is by doing a many to many relationship between the two fact tables. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I have a similar issue with products table where I am linking Fact Two to Product table (fact:many to product:one), then linking Product dimension to Product Options dimension (Product:one to Product Options:many). I cannot split the fact table sales data by Product Options. The only way to make it work is again, doing a many to many relationship between Fact Two and Product Options.

Please help!

ChPetru_1-1674848026282.png

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ChPetru , if you drag two not Summarize columns from fact1 and Fact2 you will not able able to do so.

One you have something from the Dim table in the visual. you will able to use the Not Sumamrized column from one table and aggregated from another table or aggregated  from both tables

Thank you for the reply. I noticed measures will work, like you said, but if this was a SQL join through the dim_accountid it would just associate the two facts in the same table.

Why is PowerBI unable to do so unless the two tables are linked directly through many:many relationship?

Is there a way I can display the two facts in the same table visual using the relationship as in my screenshot? (through dim_account table)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors