Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie Help requested for PreviousDay function

Hi!

This is my first post... so thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me solve it! I have searched to dee a solution but couldn't easily find it so apologies of this has been solved before.

I have a table that has daily closoing bank balances in it. I am trying to create a DAX measure in Power BI that will return the previous day's balance so I can put as an opening balance comparison.

I have run the following DAX query:

Closing Balance (Previous Day) = CALCULATE(SUM('Bank Balances'[Closing Balance]), PREVIOUSDAY('Dates Table'[Date]))

However it always retuns a blank value. Here is my table structure:

AlBundy87_0-1684647768583.png

When I run the same query on my transaction table it works correctly summing up the previous days transactions:

Transactions (Previous Day) = CALCULATE(SUM('Transaction Data'[Transaction Amount (Real)]), PREVIOUSDAY('Dates Table'[Date]))

I assume it doesn't work for the balance because I can't use CALCULATE as there is not multiple transactions just a balance but how do I pull in the closing balance value?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

It is bit difficult to approach this without examples of data. One explanation that came to my mind is that your Bank Balances table's date data is not in the correct format. However, disregarding that here is one approach to this issue:

Example data:

ValtteriN_0-1684674735015.png

measure:

LastdayBalance =

var _Ldate = MAX('Calendar'[Date]) return

CALCULATE(SUM('Balance Example'[Balance]),ALL('Balance Example'[Date]),'Balance Example'[Date]=_Ldate-1)

End result:

ValtteriN_1-1684675012954.png

PREVIOUSDAY should also work if you include ALL. 

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much... that worked

I now realise my error. Previously I was referencing my dates table but I had prefilled this with dates for the full year so looks like it was pciking up a future date.

Once I used your suggestion and referenced the dates in the balance table it worked perfectly!

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

What is the granularity of the date column in the Balances table?

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

It is bit difficult to approach this without examples of data. One explanation that came to my mind is that your Bank Balances table's date data is not in the correct format. However, disregarding that here is one approach to this issue:

Example data:

ValtteriN_0-1684674735015.png

measure:

LastdayBalance =

var _Ldate = MAX('Calendar'[Date]) return

CALCULATE(SUM('Balance Example'[Balance]),ALL('Balance Example'[Date]),'Balance Example'[Date]=_Ldate-1)

End result:

ValtteriN_1-1684675012954.png

PREVIOUSDAY should also work if you include ALL. 

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors