Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

flent

Need IF statement to add 1 to the column instead of overwriting with the value of 1

Hi,

I come from a background in R so this may not be a feature in Power BI but I am hoping that is not the case.  I need to create a column using an IF statement, and I want the value of this new column to increase by 1 every time the condition is met and do nothing when the condition is not met.  I have tried IF(logical_operator, +1) but it still seems to be overwriting the previous data in the column, not adding 1 to the existing value of the cell.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have searched near and far for this answer.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
JustJan
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @flent ,

When I use RANKX in the calculated column, together with a row-level condition I can achieve what you are looking for, if I understand correctly of course. 

2020-03-28 18_55_28-Window.png

So in this case the rows where the condition is not met, there is no value. The rank is now based on the Index column, but that could be any column of course. 

Hope this helps,

Regards, 

Jan 

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @flent ,

I don't think DAX will help you here due to the recursive nature of your requirement. However, Power Query/M Language can perform recursive functions e.g. https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/07/01/recursive-functions-in-power-bi-power-query/.

Sorry this isn't an instant solution to your query, but hopefully it gets you pointed in the right direction knowing that there is potentially a way.

Good luck.

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors