Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasSan
Helper III
Helper III

My formula ends in division by zero error and I just don't know why

Dear community,

I have a rather odd problem that I have been working on for the last two hours but still fail to understand where/what exactly the error is. Apparently, "A division by zero has been encountered". But the problem is that my denominator is a fixed value that is not zero. Is there maybe a bug in DAX that leads to this outcome? And if yes, does anyone know a work around for my issue?

Here is my concrete case

I am having the following table

ThomasSan_1-1635858462520.png

where the current formula for CTS is 

CTS = 1.2803*sum(Table1[Number Of Invoices])

As you can see, the 1.2803 is based on column Result which itself is the result of the value in column Numerator over the value of column Denominator (The values in column Denominator, Numerator and Result are always the same which I double checked by generating a data excerpt for Excel in which I confirmed that there are absolutely no zero values.).

Accordingly, the formula for Result is 

Result = Table1[Numerator]/Table1[Denominator]

I now wish to directly insert the Result value 1.2803 directly into the CTS formula so that it reads
CTS = Table1[Result]*sum(Table1[Number Of Invoices])

However, when I do this, I get the error message 

ThomasSan_0-1635858341323.png

The table is filtered but this should not be an issue for my calculations, right?

So can anyone please explain to me where this mysterious division by zero is occuring?

6 REPLIES 6
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasSan ,

Has your issue be solved? If not, I have some doubts, it will help to solve your problem if you can reply to me.

1.I notice that “Result” is a measure, what about “CTS”, is it a measure or column?

2.When does the DAX error “A division by zero has been encountered” occur? Does it occur after you run “Result” or “CTS”?

3.What is the error reminder when you modify the DAX to “DIVIDE(Table1[Numerator], Table1[Denominator],0)”?

4.Is “Numerator” and “Denominator” your original data or calculated data?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft ,

unfortunately, my problem has not been solved, yet. To your questions:

1. CTS is a measure.

2. No. Having "Result" only in a column consistently delivers the same value (here 1.2803€) and curiously does not deliver this error message. This is as expected as the denominator and nominator also stay consitent in each row. 

3. The error vanishes but my DAX formula behind Curve Product is not working correctly (sidenote: it is a running total of all Gross Profit values up until each row. I have created based on the response I got from an earlier question here in the community (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cumulative-Totals-from-largest-to-lowest-and-without-date/m...))

4. The formula are "Numerator = Table1[Total Costs]" and "Denominator = CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table1[Number Of Invoices]), ALLSELECTED ( Table1) )". The latter is supposed to give me the total number of invoices in order to create the average costs. These average costs per invoice are then used to multiply the average cost of invoices with the number of invoice per product (i.e. how many times has the product been invoiced)

All in all, this is exactly my big mystery here. While PowerBI is perfectly able to calculate each element of my large formula (which is CTS = (Table1[Numerator]/Table1[Denominator] )*sum(Table1[Number Of Invoices]), I am unable to do so by inserting this large formula as CTS since it will result in the above mentioned error message. Even stranger, I fail to understand where exactly a division by 0 is happening as all denominator values are constant (here 3.243).

PS: I just noticed it is not correct to have denominator in Euros as it is just the total number of invoices. Naturally, that is not a monetary value. However, this should have no effect on my described problem here

Hi @ThomasSan ,

According to your description, because the “Result” formula works fine, I think there’s no zero in your “Denominator” column, I guess maybe it’s the aggregation cause your problem. You can try to create a new column like this:

Column=[Result]

CTS = Table1[Column]*sum(Table1[Number Of Invoices])

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ThomasSan Try this and this will help you identify where the issue is:

Result = DIVIDE(Table1[Numerator], Table1[Denominator],0)

Or use -1 or something as the alternate result to clearly identify where the division by zero is happening.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Hi Greg,

I have modified the forma for Result according to your input but there still seems to be no zero

ThomasSan_0-1635860005219.png

@ThomasSan My guess is that the blanks are what are causing the issue with the divide by zero. Seems like it is quite possible that you were dividing by BLANK() essentially which caused the divide by zero error. IDK, hard to say without the data and such. Seems like the issue is solved though.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors