Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Proggesnekka_v2
Regular Visitor

Multiple dummy variables to one column

I have 3 dummy variables, D1-D3. Where I calculate the number of Customers with the measure “No. measure”.

Proggesnekka_v2_0-1685966428548.png

However, I want to create a variable “Category”, to calculate the No.measure,  like shown below:

Proggesnekka_v2_1-1685966428550.png

Is there a way to “undo” dummy variables in DAX? The data is stored in datawarehouse, so I can't transform the data in Query.

7 REPLIES 7
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Proggesnekka_v2 

One of the way might be in Power query, not sure how is your table and other data but for the sample provided by you, it should work:

Sample data used:

D1 D2 D3 No. measure
0 1 0 11492
1 0 0 6699
1 1 0 3272
0 0 1 1324
0 1 1 353
1 0 1 1345
1 1 1 698

Just past above code in PQ and it should format the table in such way that then you can simply produce the result as below:

mahenkj2_0-1686747170948.png

Hope it helps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUTIEYjBtaGJppBSrEw0XAWEzM0tLuCBMwtjIHKISpgosaWxkAheEqTY2NUYxEqLQxBTFSBA2s7RQio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [D1 = _t, D2 = _t, D3 = _t, #"No. measure" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"D1", Int64.Type}, {"D2", Int64.Type}, {"D3", Int64.Type}, {"No. measure", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"No. measure"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{{"Attribute", "Category"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each ([Value] = 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Value"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@lbendlinI can't use the "data-tab". The data is stored in a datawarehouse, and D1-D3 is three different columns. Is it another way around?

No, it's all manual labor from here on.  You have to create a measure that manually collects the data from all three columns.

That's what I feared to do. Can you help me with the code for the measure?

Since you won't be able to provide sample data for your scenario (data warehouse connection)  I won't be able to assist further. I have no access to any such environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors