Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerOper
Frequent Visitor

Merge Two Tables of Different Measurements by TIME and ID into single table?

I have two tables, each are similar except that they contain different types of measured values, for example one contains pressure data, and the other has temperature data.

I would like create a new table that merges the two tables so that I have the two measurements, pressure and temperature, in the same table for each id and time.

As an example, here are the two source tables I would like to merge. My apologies for the formatting. The forum site isn't loading properly for me.

PRESSURE_TABLE                                                           TEMPERATURE_TABLE

id      time                        pressure                                       id      time                        temperature
A      2019-12-13 1:00     5000                                             A      2019-12-13 1:00     12

B      2019-12-13 1:00     5200                                             B      2019-12-13 1:00     15

The resulting table after the merge would look like this:

id      time                        pressure         temperature
A      2019-12-13 1:00     5000               12
B      2019-12-13 1:00     5200               15

8 REPLIES 8
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @PowerOper 

if i understand correct it shoud be enough to add calculated column to table pressure or temperature like this:

Temperature = lookupvalue('TEMPERATURE_TABLE'[temperature];
'TEMPERATURE_TABLE'[id];[id]
'TEMPERATURE_TABLE'[time];[time]
)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

Thanks @az38. I've tried that but it returns #ERROR with the error message "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@PowerOper 

it means that you have more then one row that satisfied both of your conditions.

you need to check data or define another rule

LinkedIn

@az38 When I perform the lookup manually, I don't see duplicates or multiple rows. I do have the 2 tables joined to another dates table on Timestamp, maybe that is causing the issue. I generated this third table as a distinct union of the timestamp fields from the 2 tables. Must be something to do with my relationships. Thanks

Yeah I'm probably going about this the wrong way. The two tables are actually derived from another table, so perhaps I should be trying to manipulate that one instead. The source table has columns [Timestamp], [Value], [Measured Name], [ID] and in the Measured Name field it has "Temperature" or "Pressure" to describe what value it is. I had created two separate tables to derive Temperature and Pressure by Timestamp and ID. What I really want to do probably is just pivot the original table so that the values are grouped for [Measured Name] columns. Is there a way to PIVOT with DAX? I'm going to google that @az38

OK well this was easy. I just had to pivot the [Measured Name] column in the original M Query. I'm not sure what I didnt' think of that before. My apologies Cheers
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@PowerOper 

thats great! good luck!

LinkedIn
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

so, @PowerOper we need to look at your data model to help you

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors