Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bassehave
Helper I
Helper I

Looking for specific text in cell based on another column

I'm trying to do a Find/Mid/Match in Power Query, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Basically, I have a long list of article numbers and article names - inside these articles names it's stated which colour the product is. The issue is that it's not always in the same place.

I have a query named "X_Colours" with one column "Colours" type is Text.

Other query is "Items" with two columns "Item No" (Number) and "Name" (Text).

I would like a custom column that looks in "Items" "Name" for a similar value from "X_Colours" "Colours" column. If it finds the same value, it should return the value from "X_Colours" if not, it should just return something like "Unknown", so I can manually look for the colour and add it to the list.

Is this possible or do I have to create a new table and use an excel formula and then add it back into the query?

Thanks in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Bassehave ,

A new column in Table 2 , Items. In DAX

new column =

var _max = maxx(filter(X_Colours, search(X_Colours[Color], Item[Name],,0) >0) , X_Colours[Color])

return

if(isblank(_max), "Unknown", _max)

Hi Amitchandak,

Thanks a lot for the solution and I'm sure its what I need, but I can't seem find where to use this formula. 

When going to "Add Column" and "Custom Column" it doesn't work when I write this formula.

Is it possible to convert it to this window?

I'm trying to do this in Excel Power Query, so I'm not sure if I miss some functionality compared to Power BI query.

Thanks in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors