Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetrM
Frequent Visitor

How to leave out date from visuals interaction

Hi,

I have two visuals:

A) A line chart with multiple kinds of exposure in a 12-month history (end-of-month value)

B) A table with client detail for last available month:

DateClientIDCityExposure1Exposure2Exposure3
31.3.20231City1

31.3.20232City1200230
31.3.20233City2300121
31.3.20234City2100348
31.3.20235City3200215

Now, I'd like to change the interaction between the two visuals.

Currently, when I select a client in B), only the corresponding month is selected in A) as a single set of dots. I would like to get the 12-month history of all displayed information instead. Is there a way to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't see a way to do that on page, but it should be possible as either a drillthrough or hover help. As long as any filters on the primary date table are not passed through then you could build the visual using columns from the previous dates table.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PetrM
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @johnt75, that's an interesting technique. But it looks pretty advanced while too different from my scenario. In the video, all is based on a date in a slicer. In my case, the date is what should be ignored. Also, I want to keep the interactivity in the opposite direction as well - for a selected datapoint in A) show a client detail in B). I'm affraid I'll be unable to amend this to fit my purpose.

My thinking was by treating the date column in your table visual as the slicer from the video you would then use the previous dates table in your line chart, so when you select a row from the table visual all filters would then be applied to the line chart. You can intercept the max date from the table visual and use that to manipulate which dates from previous dates get shown.

PetrM
Frequent Visitor

I implemented the solution, but the result is only half-satisfactory. The table now filters the chart correctly, but the chart doesn't filter the table at all anymore, since the connection between the two date tables is a single direction inactive one. So I'm paying for the new feature by losing the capability to analyze the chart's history. I'm considering the trade-off but still hope I can somhow have the best of both worlds.

I don't see a way to do that on page, but it should be possible as either a drillthrough or hover help. As long as any filters on the primary date table are not passed through then you could build the visual using columns from the previous dates table.

PetrM
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @johnt75 , it looks like I need to use some of the workarounds you mentioned. Not perfect but at least this gives me the peace of mind that I tried and didn't miss an obvious soluion.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

I think you can use the technique explained in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Rm7dwM6gc 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.