Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Steph83
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate average age of a group of persons in XX years?

I have a group of 300 people ("Artists") for whom I have their date of birth ("date of birth").

I would like to know the average age of this group on a specific date that I would select in a dashboard filter.

In fact my data base gathered all persons, but all are not available all the time. So I need to know, among the persons who are there, at a specific date, the average age of the persons

Thnaks in advance for your support

Stephane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You could create a measure like

Average age =
VAR ReferenceDate =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer date'[Date] )
VAR Result =
    AVERAGEX ( Artists, DATEDIFF ( Artists[Date of birth], ReferenceDate, YEAR ) )
RETURN
    Result

where 'Slicer date'[Date] is the column you are using on the slicer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You could create a measure like

Average age =
VAR ReferenceDate =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer date'[Date] )
VAR Result =
    AVERAGEX ( Artists, DATEDIFF ( Artists[Date of birth], ReferenceDate, YEAR ) )
RETURN
    Result

where 'Slicer date'[Date] is the column you are using on the slicer.

Good day,

Something is missing. I have well the average of the list of persons at a selected date however, it gives the average of all the persons whatever the filter applied on the page (gender, above 30....). How can I include the selected filters in the formula so as to calculate the average on the selected persons only?

The code I posted should respect any filters placed on the Artists table. If it is not doing that can you post a link to a sample PBIX ?

Hi john,

Indeed, I was using two tables. Now it has been solved. Thanks

Hello John, 

When I read your proposal, it seems so easy, but I wouldn't have been able to find it!!!

That's work perfectly, thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors