Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to calculate a measure with values from two fact tables on the lowest level of granularity?

Tabular model has 2 fact tables:

Sales (fact table)
CustomerId
TimePeriodId
ProductId
<Several another dimensions Ids>
Amount

and

Discount (fact table)
CustomerId
TimePeriodId
ProductId
Discount

Sales table has [ComplexMeasure] measure that uses another measures chain for calculations, in the lowest level it has SUM(Amount).

I need to add a new measure with formula = ComplexMeasure x Discount, but I can't use here something like average discount, instead of that I shoud multiply every Amount from the Sales table by corresponding Discount from the Discount table. I can't change ComplexMeasure or measures that used in this measure calculation. And I don't want to re-create all these measures, but with SUM(Sales[Amount] x Discount[Discount]) on the lowest level.

Do you have any idea how I could implement that using a DAX expression?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try like

sumx(summarize(Sales, customer[CustomerId],date[TimePeriodId],Product[ProductId], "_1", sum(Sales[Amount]) , "_2", max(Discount[Discount])),[_1]*[_2])

Changes the measure and aggregation as per need

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try like

sumx(summarize(Sales, customer[CustomerId],date[TimePeriodId],Product[ProductId], "_1", sum(Sales[Amount]) , "_2", max(Discount[Discount])),[_1]*[_2])

Changes the measure and aggregation as per need

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it works. Thank you!

It seems that you query groups all data from Sales and then if the coresponding Discount exists adds value to the result.

I would like to increase the performance of the query by filtering Sales items before grouping operation. Is it possible to have grouped sales only that have link to discount table? Probably I should use RELATEDTABLE in this query, but I can't figure out how to use it. 

saraMissBI
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous 

You can add a calculated column to table Sales to get the corresponding discount for each customer. Then create the following measure:

NewMeasure = CALCULATE(Sales, SUMX([ComplexMeasure] * [CalculatedColumnDiscount])

This should do the trick.

If my answer solves your problem, please give Kudos and mark as solution 🙂

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @saraMissBI

It's a very, very, very bad idea to have a measure that would iterate a big fact table and execute CALCULATE against each and every row. The measure will be AGONIZINGLY SLOW and will lead to memory overflow. One should never do it. Apart from that, the measure is syntactically incorrect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors