Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lulcasl
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate Moving Average as forecast method?

I'm work with the following data:

lulcasl_1-1612795095857.png

The measure [Volume Realizado] brings me the total transported each day, working as it should. As the table show, it can be divided between [Meso], [Semana], [Material] and [Tipo]. Now here's the issue, I want to use the average of the last 7 days for a rolling average and I want it to keep going even after days which I don't have values (07/02 and so on), here's the expected result:

lulcasl_2-1612795136472.png

I want the measure to drill down with each context just like the SUM, so if I want to see the measure only on the [Meso] context it'll give me on value, but I want to be able to drill it even more with [Material] for example.

Here's the .pbix.
EDITED

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I'm not sure Power BI is built for this but I'd be happy to be wrong.  What I'm trying to do is recreate the same type of recursive capabilities that you can do in Excel where each successive value builds on the value of the one before.  Since DAX isn't recursive I don't see how that is possible.

AUaero_0-1639083053995.png

smpa01
Super User
Super User

@lulcasl  Power BI is built to deal with this sort of scenario. Please provide sample data and expected output.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I've been struggling with this as well.  Power BI doesn't support recursive calculations with DAX, so you can't do it the same way you'd calculate a forward looking moving average in Excel.  I'm experimenting with Python scripts to try to solve this now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors