Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lexi_Liu
Frequent Visitor

How to Get First Non Zero Value of current year

Is there a way to get the first non zero value of current year? I tried Firstnonblank but it only returns selected month data.

My Fact Table 'Employee' contains [Effective Date] and [employee ID], each row stands for an employee. The effective dates are end day of each month.

I have a Date slicer, contains each month end.

[Employee of Current Month]CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(countrows('Employee'),'Date'[Date]))

[Last Year End Employee] = CALCULATE([Employee of Current Month], ENDOFYEAR(PREVIOUSYEAR('Date'[Date])))

Now I want to use DAX to create a condition, if the [Last Year End Employee]= 0, then return the first month's value that the number of employee is greater than 0.

Appreciate for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Joe_Barry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Lexi_Liu 

Does the Employee only appear once in the table or is there an entry for each month for the Employee? Can you explain in more detail in what you want to exactly acheive? Are you trying to get current employee amount and last years amount? Is there a termination date also? If you can, please provide a sample of the table

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply, here is the sample table. There is no termination date, each row stand for an active employee as of month end. The effective date column has relationship with DimDate table.

I use [Last Year End Employee] to get the employee amount as of last year end, however there was no Japan employee as of 12/31/2023, so I want a DAX to show the next month data when the amount is greater than 0, which is 2, as of 1/31/2024.

When user select 2/29/2024 as the effective date, or any future date this year, ideally the [Begin Amount] for Japan should always be 2 (as of 1/31/2024).

I tried [Begin Amount] = if([Last Year End Employee]=0, (FIRSTNONBLANKVALUE('DimDate'[Date][Employee of Current Month])),[Last Year End Employee]) but it returns 3 for Japan employee amount, that is as of 2/29/2024 (the selected effective date).

sample.png

Thanks!

Hi @Lexi_Liu 

Maybe you are overthinking here?

Create a measure as base measure to count Employees 

Employee = DISTINCTCOUNT(Employee[Employee ID])

When you add this alone to a Matrix, this will show all the month/years where there is an employee active.

Joe_Barry_1-1713244858866.png

You can also create measures to calculate This year's and last year's numbers

Employee YTD = TOTALYTD([Employee], 'DIM Date Test'[Date])

YTD 

Joe_Barry_2-1713245021905.png

PY 

Employee PY = 
CALCULATE ( [Employee], DATEADD ( 'DIM Date Test'[Date], -1, YEAR ) )

Joe_Barry_3-1713245142060.png

Hope this helps

Joe

If you found my answer helpful and it solved your issue, please accept as solution

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your detailed solution.

The reason we need Begin amount is because when calculating the average amount, the ending amount is as of the selected month end, and the begin amount, usually it's the last year end amount, unless it's 0, then we should use the first non-zero amount as begin amount.

So I'm thinking if there is a way to achieve this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors