Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

blue_0720

How do I write a measure that averages column totals?

Beginner user here and have never asked a question in a forum before so I apologize in advance for the simplicity of the question or info I might miss adding for context.

I have this table that I'm trying to replicate from Excel. I have included a screenshot of the Excel version and the Power Bi version. I want to display the average of the sums of each quarter. I am displaying this single value in a card (the one that is showing 131.85% right now) (I couldn't figure out how to do it in the table matrix). I know it can be done with DAX as a measure but can't seem to figure out what that would be. Is there an easy way to do this? I want the average to be off the quarters that have data, excluding the zeros for the future quarters). 

Excel version:

blue_0720_0-1687371770110.png

Power BI version:

blue_0720_1-1687371815847.png

Thank you in advance for the help. 

4 REPLIES 4
blue_0720

@tamerj1  I have the data for this table with a field for Quarter and that is linked to a Calendar table so am I referencing the Quarter field in this table or do I reference the fields in my Calendar table? Also, what goes where you have [Measure]?

@blue_0720 

which of them is usef in the visual?

our report has changed direction so I no longer need this, thank you for your help though @tamerj1 

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @blue_0720 

please try

Average Measure =
AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( 'Date', 'Date'[Year], 'Date'[Quarter] ), [Measure] )

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Kudoed Authors