Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mjdrejza1722
Helper I
Helper I

How do I correct this DAX to add a filter?

In the measure below, I have reused the DAX expression in blue which is working elsewhere in my model just fine.  I want to now add a filter (i.e., [CATEGORY] <> "Dateline"), but don't have the DAX syntax correct because now I am getting this "LOOKUPVALUE' usage error.

I cannot figure out what the correct syntax is.  Any help on this?

Mjdrejza1722_1-1676043055277.png

3 REPLIES 3
nchr
Frequent Visitor

If I am not mistaken (it's a screenshot and has inconvenient formating) the SWITCH statement is the second argument to your CALCULATE.

CALCULATE arguements (after the first) should be true/false tables that are used a s filter context for the calculation. Your SWITCH does not return a true/false table, it returns a number, e.g. 13. So your CALCULATE is equivalent to:
CALCULATE( FILTER (...,...), 13)

This is the error, described in the yellow error message as well.

FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @Mjdrejza1722 

please paste your code as text firstly

Here is the code.  What I am trying to accomplish is to have the SWITCH statement calculate for all the categories except the Dateline (which I have to include in the visual-level slicer because that category is used elsewhere in the visual on a secondary axis).

Amount SC Switch 2 =

CALCULATE(

filter('Final Spend', 'Final Spend'[CATEGORY] <> "Dateline"),

SWITCH(TRUE(),

MAXx('Final Spend', [Project Status])="Approved", sumx(FILTER('Final Spend','Final Spend'[Project Status] = "Approved"&&'Final Spend'[CATEGORY]<>"Dateline"),'Final Spend'[Amount USD])*(-1)*LOOKUPVALUE('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[ExchRate],'Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency],max('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency])),

MAXx('Final Spend', [Project Status])="Completed", sumx(FILTER('Final Spend','Final Spend'[Project Status] = "Completed"&&'Final Spend'[CATEGORY]<>"Dateline"),'Final Spend'[Amount USD])*(-1)*LOOKUPVALUE('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[ExchRate],'Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency],max('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency])),

MAXx('Final Spend', [Project Status])="Intake", sumx(FILTER('Final Spend','Final Spend'[Project Status] = "Intake"&&'Final Spend'[CATEGORY]<>"Dateline"),'Final Spend'[Amount USD])*LOOKUPVALUE('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[ExchRate],'Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency],max('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency])),

MAXx('Final Spend', [Project Status])="Prioritized", sumx(FILTER('Final Spend','Final Spend'[Project Status] = "Prioritized"&&'Final Spend'[CATEGORY]<>"Dateline"),'Final Spend'[Amount USD])*LOOKUPVALUE('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[ExchRate],'Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency],max('Currency_Exchange_Rate'[Currency]))

)

)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors