Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidH
Helper I
Helper I

Hopefully a simple answer!!

I have been struggling with arranging or segregating tables based upon values from another table.

I have got a simple example for illustration of my problem.

Table 1 is a main table that is brought in to PowerBI

Table 2 is a table I want to use to 'extract' or create a new table with those values shown out of Table 1

Table 3 would be the resulting table I am after

I have tried to use CALCULATETABLE using EXCEPT or FILTER but I am not able to get what I am after. I appreciate that using the EXCEPT context will give me everything except the values I want but is there any way I can get the values I want and ignore that ones not on the list (Table 2)?

I have no relationships set up on these so I am wondering if the TREATAS function could be used as a virtual relationship or if there is something that will simply capture this?

Table 2 could be a Table that is created using DISTINCT or VALUES from something else either outside or within PowerBI depending on the scenario I am after.

Table picture.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what you're exactly after... My guess is that you want to create a new table via DAX in the model based on Table1 and Table 2.

To create the new table is rather easy.

Table 3 =
CALCULATETABLE(
	'Table 1',
	TREATAS(
		'Table 2',
		'Table 1'[Code]
	)
)

Another way is to create a relationship from 'Table 1'[Code] to 'Table 2'[Code] (*:1) and then

Table 3 =
CALCULATETABLE(
	'Table 1',
	'Table 2'
)

Best

Darek

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what you're exactly after... My guess is that you want to create a new table via DAX in the model based on Table1 and Table 2.

To create the new table is rather easy.

Table 3 =
CALCULATETABLE(
	'Table 1',
	TREATAS(
		'Table 2',
		'Table 1'[Code]
	)
)

Another way is to create a relationship from 'Table 1'[Code] to 'Table 2'[Code] (*:1) and then

Table 3 =
CALCULATETABLE(
	'Table 1',
	'Table 2'
)

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors