Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy Totals & Multiple Slicers using SWITCH/ALL

Hello,

I have a simple data model with 1 table (EncounterFact) in PBI. Below is a screenshot of the Excel spreadsheet showing 2 examples of what I'm trying to figure out. The first example contains my sample data and slicer visuals available to select from. In the first example you can see all 3 slicers are active with a selection. The second example shows what should happen if 1 slicer is selected. I've added some notes with the examples, but I want to find the DAX that would work for BOTH the yellow ? boxes. 

Here is some of the DAX that I started for the measure. I'm hoping some gaps just need to be filled in, but if there is a better way to go about this, please let me know. Thanks!

Sample Measure = 
// Measure 1:
VAR ProviderID =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( EncounterFact[Encounters.ProviderID] ),
        EncounterFact[Encounters.ProviderID] > 0
    ) 

// Hierarchy levels in order of smallest (most granular) to largest:
VAR VisitTypeSelected =
    ISFILTERED ( EncounterFact[Encounters.VisitType] )
VAR ChannelSelected =
    ISFILTERED ( EncounterFact[ModalityRevised] )
VAR CategorySelected =
    ISFILTERED ( EncounterFact[ModalityCategory] ) 

// Denominator measures based on slicer selection:
VAR VisitTypeTotal =
    CALCULATE ( ProviderID, ALL ( EncounterFact[Encounters.VisitType] ) )
VAR ChannelTotal =
    CALCULATE ( ProviderID, ALL ( EncounterFact[ModalityRevised] ) )
VAR CategoryTotal =
    CALCULATE ( ProviderID, ALL ( EncounterFact ) )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        VisitTypeSelected, VisitTypeTotal,
        ChannelSelected, ChannelTotal,
        CategorySelected, CategoryTotal,
        CategoryTotal
    )

Hierarchy Level.PNG

5 REPLIES 5

Well,  believe it or not, a single flat table is not a "simple data model". You would be well advised to create a star schema with dimensions for all of the columns you are trying to filter and modify (with CALCULATE). Most problems normally then go away. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllington Thanks so much for the feedback. This table is coming from a single source, an SSAS Tabular cube, which contains this heirarchy and dates.

Do you know how I might be able to achieve what I'm trying to do? Am I on the right track with the variables and SWITCH, or should I completely go down a different path? I've been stuck on a solution for this for weeks. Thanks again for your help!

The SSAS cube should already provide all the required dimensions and measures. How does your data source definition look like?

Hi,

This should meet your requirement:

Measure 3 = 
var __Channel = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Channel])
var __VisitType = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[VisityType])
var __Category = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Category])
return
SWITCH(TRUE();
    ISFILTERED('Table'[VisityType]);    DIVIDE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);
                                                            IF(COUNTROWS(FILTERS('Table'[Channel]))=1;            
                                                                CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);ALL('Table');'Table'[Channel]=__Channel);
                                                                CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);ALL('Table'))
                                                                )
                                                )                                                ;
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Channel]);       DIVIDE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);
                                                            IF(COUNTROWS(FILTERS('Table'[Category]))=1;
                                                                CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);ALL('Table');'Table'[Category]=__Category);
                                                                CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);ALL('Table'))
                                                            )
                                                )
;
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Category]);      DIVIDE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID]);ALL('Table')))
    )

As can be seen here: 
totalhiearchy.gif
File is available here

Please mark as solution if this works for you. Thumbs up for the effort is appreciated.

Kind regards, Steve. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors