Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sunilbeckham
Helper I
Helper I

Hide values in field parameters

Hello.

I have multiple columns in my table that look something like this:

Student IDAssessment Awareness of Self and environmentAssessment Cognitive SkillsAssessment Language and communicationAssessment Social skills..Assessment Physical - Fine MotorAssessment Physical - Gross Motor
2222naBLANK212na
333321BLANK332
4444BLANK332na1

I have combined all the 6 Assessment columns in a field parameter 'Assessment Group'. I'm using this field parameter as a slicer and also as the dynamic X axis in a column chart. On the Y axis, I'm doing a simple:

CALCULATE(COUNTA(Student id),Assessment IN {1,2,3})

I want to hide the BLANK and na values from the X axis for all the assessments that are selected from the slicer group. Currently the visual looks like this:

sunilbeckham_0-1685734246485.png

Is there any way to hide the BLANK and na values regardless of which column is picked from the slicer? I tried doing it through the visual level filter but that affects the calculations on Y axis.
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sunilbeckham ,

Please create a new measure like:

Measure = 
SWITCH(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Assessment'[Assessment Order]),
    0, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Awareness of Self and environment]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    1, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Cognitive Skills]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    2, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Language and communication]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    3, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Physical - Fine Motor]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    4, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Physical - Gross Motor]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    5, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Social skills..]) IN {"1","2","3"},1)
)

and then use it as visual's filter:

vcgaomsft_0-1685933605523.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sunilbeckham ,

Please create a new measure like:

Measure = 
SWITCH(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Assessment'[Assessment Order]),
    0, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Awareness of Self and environment]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    1, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Cognitive Skills]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    2, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Language and communication]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    3, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Physical - Fine Motor]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    4, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Physical - Gross Motor]) IN {"1","2","3"},1),
    5, IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Assessment Social skills..]) IN {"1","2","3"},1)
)

and then use it as visual's filter:

vcgaomsft_0-1685933605523.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

@v-cgao-msft I have a quick follow up question if you don't mind.
I'm trying to sort the X axis now by column descending so that it's always in the order of 3,2,1. But it doesn't save the order of the axis when I select a different column from the field parameter slicer.
For example, I select 'Cognitive Skills' from the Assessment Group slicer, and I sort the axis on the visual by 'Assessment Cognitive Skills' column descending. It gives me the desired output 3,2,1. But when I select another Assessment from the slicer, It changes the order again and goes back to sorting it by Y axis.
See screenshot below:

sunilbeckham_1-1685989749425.png
Thanks in advance!

Hi @sunilbeckham ,

Normally, this needs to be sorted with the help of auxiliary columns, but in this case it doesn't apply.

You may consider using Unpivot for these columns in the PowerQuery editor.

vcgaomsft_0-1686014818389.png

Because the values on this axis originate from the same field, consider using a visual filter. Reference sample files

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi @v-cgao-msft 
This was brilliant. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors