Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

julesdude
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Help Needed Iterating through Parent/Child Relationships in Table to get Values and Group Membership

Hi everyone,

I have three tables in my data model:

1. Investment

Legal Entity Reference  Investment Name  Business Number
Investment AI_A 
Investment BI_B 
Investment CI_CF0008
Investment DI_DF0009
Investment EI_EF0010
Investment FI_FF0011

2. Equity Participation

Investor Reference  

Investment Reference    

Ownership Percentage  Start Date  End Date  
 Investment C   
Investment CHDF_SSS1  
Investment CHDF_DD_SD0.5  
HDF_SSSHDF_NO10.66  
HDF_NO1HDF_222101/01/2020 
HDF_NO1HDF_3330.49  
HDF_222HDF_Heka_Hold0.33  
HDF_222HDF_Bon_Hold0.3301/01/2022 
HDF_222HDF_Serleet_Hold0.33  

3. Transaction

Owner Entity Reference  Asset Reference  Amount
HDF_DD_SDJIM22254354
HDF_DD_SDJIM22355533
HDF_DD_SDJIM2242222
HDF_DD_SDJIM2252432
HDF_333AXA20214342
HDF_333AXA2022423
HDF_333AXA20231167
HDF_Heka_HoldBOMDS0018888
HDF_Heka_HoldBOMDS002474
HDF_Heka_HoldBOMDS00354354356
HDF_Heka_HoldBOMDS0044444
HDF_Heka_HoldBOMDS0052222
HDF_Bon_HoldSEL188867
HDF_Bon_HoldSEL245477
HDF_Serleet_HoldAIT20235435
HDF_Serleet_HoldAIT5005422
HDF_Serleet_HoldAIT2224546
HDF_Serleet_HoldAIT5037574577

They have a relationship in the following way:

julesdude_0-1675382185547.png

I would like to be able to do the following two things:

1. Get the [Ownership Percentage] of an [Asset Reference]:

a) Be able to look up an [Asset Reference] from the Transaction table, or any table in my model that might contain an Asset Reference column and an associated value next to it
b) Check the [Owner Entity Reference] in the Transaction table to get the group the Asset belongs to
c) Match this group name against the name in the [Investment Reference] column in the Equity Participation table
d) Ensure that the Start Date in Equity Participation is before my measure [as of date] (which is basically a user selectable date picker) in the report) OR that the [Start Date] is blank, AND that the [End Date] column is after my [as of date] measure if there is date there OR that it is blank.
e) Return the [Ownership Percentage] amount so that this amount can be applied to any value I wish to apply the percentage to

2. This is slightly harder. I have a dropdown filter in my report that lists all [Legal Entity Reference] options from the Investment table in the data model (above). When an option or options are selected, I would like my matrix table underneath to have my rows column list the [Legal Entity Reference] at top level, and expandable all the child items within this group name listed - so all the Asset References that are associated with this. You will notice though that unfortunately, to get through this parent/child relationship, you need to match the same Legal Entity Reference name against the [Investor Reference] and then take the [Investment Reference] on the same row and use that to filter the [Investor Reference] and keep iterating this way in the table to 'unpack' all the child references until the Investment Reference matches to an entry in the [Owner Entity Reference] column of the Transaction table. This then links to the [Asset Reference] in the table on the same row to give us the assets linked to this group.
An example of this: To get all the Asset Reference values if I select Investment C from the drop down in my report. Logic would match Legal Entity Reference to Investor Reference in Equity Participation table. There are 2 results:

Investor Reference  

Investment Reference
Investment CHDF_SSS
Investment CHDF_DD_SD

Both HDF_SSS and HDF_DD_SD then need to be looked up in the [Investor Reference] column to see if there are any child [Investment Reference] results. There is not for HDF_DD_SD as this matches an entry in the [Owner Entity Reference] column of the Transaction table, and has 4 Asset References:

Owner Entity Reference  Asset Reference
HDF_DD_SDJIM222
HDF_DD_SDJIM223
HDF_DD_SDJIM224
HDF_DD_SDJIM225

These Asset References need to be part of the list that is displayed in my first row column in my matrix table for my Investment C drop down selection. The assets are all linked to the Owner Entity Reference.

In addition to the above assets, there are others that need to be unpacked and added. The second result was HDF_SSS. To iterate through that parent/child relationship, you would have to cycle/filter through the Investor Reference column, taking the result of the Investment Reference then using the Investment Reference in the Investor Reference column and so forth until the Investment Reference matches an Owner Entity Reference:
HDF_SSS > HDF_NO1
HDF_NO1 > HDF_222
HDF_NO1 > HDF_333

HDF_222 > HDF_Heka_Hold

HDF_222 > HDF_Bon_Hold

HDF_222 > HDF_Serleet_Hold

We now have all the end child relationship names to use in the [Owner Entity Reference] of the Transaction table to complete the list of Asset Reference values in the first row column of the table matrix. In the end, it would like:

Investment C  JIM222
 JIM223
 JIM224
 JIM225
 AXA2021
 AXA2022
 AXA2023
 BOMDS001
 BOMDS002
 BOMDS003
 BOMDS004
 BOMDS005
 SEL1
 SEL2
 AIT202
 AIT500
 AIT222
 AIT503

How can the above two requirements be tackled? I'm stuggling because I know that I would tackle this in Excel with some macro utilising looping, but no such easy way to iterate using DAX.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your table relationships seem off. Please confirm.

The Equity participation percentages don't seem to add up. Please check - for example where are the remaining 33% for HDF_SSS ?

Hi @lbendlin 

Thanks for taking a look. Yes, the Ownership Percentage column in Equity Participation table will sometimes show a proportionate amount and it won't always equal to 100% in the group it belongs to. This is correct because it doesn't always add up to 100%. It is a case of capturing the appropriate Ownership Percentage so that it can apply that percentage to any value related data against the asset reference.

Your data doesn't seem to have the coherence that is required for a hierarchy calculation. You may have to do these calculations manually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors