Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

jkapso751
Helper I
Helper I

General questions on CALCULATE

Hi all,

I have two (hopefully easy) general questions on best practices for newbies when using a CALCULATE function:

1. Is it better to use a column reference or a measure as a first argument?  Just wondering, because you have to consider another layer of context transition when referencing a measure (and I'd like to keep things as simple as possible).

=CALCULATE([Measure1],...

=CALCULATE(sum('DATA'[Amount]),...

2. What, if any, is the difference between the following two expressions?

=CALCULATE(sum('DATA'[Amount]),...

=CALCULATE('DATA'[Sum of Amount],...

As always, many thanks!

JK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

1. Those are equivalent, but it is best practice to re-use existing measures if possible.

2. The first is a valid expression while the second will give an error in a measure due to the naked column reference.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jkapso751
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the feedback; appreciate your help.

For #2, the function was calculating an amount.  Maybe the [Sum of Amount] was an implicit measure?  Not sure.  Nevertheless, I did change my DAX formulas to match the first expression.

Best regards,

John K.

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

1. Those are equivalent, but it is best practice to re-use existing measures if possible.

2. The first is a valid expression while the second will give an error in a measure due to the naked column reference.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors