Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chocolearning
Frequent Visitor

Filtering rows by selected value of a slicer

Let’s say we are running a virtual school. We want to create a dashboard that serves as a Learning Catalog for the students. For our data we have a table that displays in each row a course with its info about which student levels may access that course: The value will be “LX” value if the course is recommended for the level X and the value will be “LXp” if the course is strongly recommended for the students of level X as a prerequisite when the student is in level X-1 and wants to be promoted to level X.
The table looks like this:

Course Name

Student Level 1

Student Level 2

Student Level 3

Student Level 4

Student Level 5

Student Level 6

Student Level 7

Student Level 8

Course 1

L7

L8

Course 2

L5

L6

L7

Course 3

L5

L6

L7

Course 4

L3

L4

L5

L6

L7

L8

The catalog should work like this: The student chooses his/her level and the visuals display the courses recommended for the level chosen. The current solution to display this catalog is working now and is working very well but given that the criteria to choose the courses is based on the columns of the table (Student Level X) and it changes according to the student request, we created the visuals using bookmarks, having a bookmark for every Student Level. Now, this is a nightmare, because whenever we want to make a change in the visuals (let’s say we want to add another column for additional info about the course) then we must change each all the bookmarks and all the visuals, which is very slow process and prone to errors.

Trying a new approach, I created a table only for the Student Levels to use for a Slicer and I created a table and measures using DAX to be able to have only 1 visual to maintain.

This is the student level table

chocolearning_0-1677564874016.png

This is how the dashboard should look when no level has been chosen

chocolearning_1-1677564897817.png

And if the student chooses Level 5 for example, he should be able to see this.

chocolearning_2-1677564897820.png

Notice that not only is changing the columns displayed but also FILTERING the rows according to the value of a variable, the selected value of the slicer.

To get the selected Student Level I used this formula:

And to create the table to populate the visual this is the formula I thought would work but it is not working:

Selected Job Level Table =

CALCULATETABLE('LG Training Matrix (2)',

FILTER('LG Training Matrix (2)',

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 1]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 2]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 3]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 4]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 5]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 6]=[Selected Student Text]||

'LG Training Matrix (2)'[Student Level 7]=[Selected Student Text]))

Using the FILTER function with a dynamic parameter (the column of the table [Selected Student Level]) is not working ☹

Here is the PIBX sample.

Please any help on making the last formula work or about how to create the catalog dashboard without the bookmarks would be very useful. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

I think to problem is the structure of your table. You have the students level from L1 to L5 in different columns.
Transform the data in a other structure, like this. Than create a relationship between the main table (Fact table) and your "Student level" Table (Dimension table). 

CourseLevelText
Course 1Student Level 7L7
Course 1Student Level 8L8
Course 2Student Level 5L5
Course 2Student Level 6L6
Course 2Student Level 7L7

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

Can you use the Power Query Editor? Than use the unpivot command:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unpivot-columns-power-query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f5882...
You can also use DAX:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50213905/is-it-possible-to-unpivot-in-power-bi-using-dax

andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

I think to problem is the structure of your table. You have the students level from L1 to L5 in different columns.
Transform the data in a other structure, like this. Than create a relationship between the main table (Fact table) and your "Student level" Table (Dimension table). 

CourseLevelText
Course 1Student Level 7L7
Course 1Student Level 8L8
Course 2Student Level 5L5
Course 2Student Level 6L6
Course 2Student Level 7L7

Thanks for your reply. I think this approach might be helpful. Can I use DAX to create taht table? Would that be a measure or a calculated table? 
Thanks in advance!

Can you please confirm, that the table in your opening post is the data structure of your underlaying data? Can you please send a good data example? Do you have more level of the students? 

It will be a calculated table i think or directly via power query editor. 

I cannot share more due to privacy agreement. 
But I tried your approach and it was good. Created a table duplicate, unpivot the necessary columns, create de relationship, and the display the visuals using the data from both tables. It is a WIP but so far it is going well. thank you.

This is great. Mark my post as a solution, this will be nice 🙂

Your first answer was marked as a solution long before you sent this reply. Check it for yourself 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors