Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ray_codex
Resolver I
Resolver I

Filtering previous workweek on a Power BI page

Hi,

I had a request by a customer that needed a relative datefilter that filters the previous work week, monday to sunday. Working with a tabular model in AS I knew a failure in the refresh would give a wrong result on a calculated column that could be used as a filter. We are using a live connection, so the only option is creating a measure. Since I couldn't find an easy solution on the forums I wanted to share this.

- Create this measure:

IsPrevWorkWeek =
VAR prev_monday =
    TODAY ()
        - ( WEEKDAY ( TODAY (), 2 ) + 6 )
VAR prev_sunday =
    TODAY () - WEEKDAY ( TODAY (), 2 )
VAR datesrange =
    CALENDAR ( prev_monday, prev_sunday )
RETURN
    IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'date'[Date] ) IN datesrange, 1, 0 )

- Use the measure as a filter on the visuals you want to filter for the previous work, by adding it with a value that equals 1.

The advantage of this approach is that the measure isn't affected by any filter context and calculates itself on report interaction, so isn't relying on data refresh. The only thing of course to note is that the visual need to have the date in a row or axis.

2 REPLIES 2
Villezekeviking
Helper II
Helper II

You can make use of my DAX Calendar that has offset-columns for days, weeks, months, quarters and years from today for any kind of relative date filtering!

Just filter your data on to ony include -1 on the Week offset from this calendar table after you've created a relationship and you're done.

As long as you refresh the dataset daily, the calendar table updates with it.

You'll find it here:
https://www.villezekeviking.com/dax-tables-calendar-and-time/

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

For those who are interested in filtering the previous workweek on a Power BI page, you can create a measure called IsPrevWorkWeek using the following DAX formula:

IsPrevWorkWeek =
VAR prev_monday =
    TODAY ()
        - ( WEEKDAY ( TODAY (), 2 ) + 6 )
VAR prev_sunday =
    TODAY () - WEEKDAY ( TODAY (), 2 )
VAR datesrange =
    CALENDAR ( prev_monday, prev_sunday )
RETURN
    IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'date'[Date] ) IN datesrange, 1, 0 )

You can then use this measure as a filter on the visuals you want to filter for the previous workweek by adding it with a value that equals 1. The advantage of this approach is that the measure isn’t affected by any filter context and calculates itself on report interaction, so isn’t relying on data refresh. The only thing to note is that the visual needs to have the date in a row or axis.

I hope this helps!

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.