Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Swam80
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Ranking for legend.

Hello all,

So I have been working on a powerbi project and I am new to this so just exploring. I have orders table, customers table,date table along with few other tables and I have created measures for metrics like Order count, Order quantity, LIFR%,VOFR%,OTIF%, etc. What I want to do is, plot a linechart of every metric with time (from date table) but only top N customers. 
So I have done this till now. Basically I created a table with metrics name and then Selected_Metric_Value will return the metric value when i select it in slicer. I have tried using RANKX but the lineplot does not show the legend of customer names properly.
For eg : If I select LIFR% on the slicer, I want the linechart to have top N customers lines vs timeframe. Then if I select Order count then I want the plot to dynamically change the data and legend both.

MetricsTable = DATATABLE(
    "Metric", STRING,
    {
        {"Order Count"},
        {"Order Lines Count"},
        {"Order Quantity"},
        {"LIFR%"},
        {"VOFR%"},
        {"OTIF%"}
    }
)

Selected_Metric_Value = SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "Order Count", [Total_orders],
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "Order Lines Count", [Total_order_lines],
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "Order Quantity", [Total_order_quantity],
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "LIFR%", [LIFR%],
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "VOFR", [VOFR%],
    SELECTEDVALUE(MetricsTable[Metric]) == "OTIF%", [OTIF%],
    BLANK()
)

5 REPLIES 5
Swam80
Frequent Visitor

Hey,

the thing is , I will have to do it for every metric.
I have one measure 

Top_Ranks = RANKX(ALL(dim_customers[customer_name]), [Selected_Metric_Value], , DESC,Dense)
So this will take whatever metric i selected in the slicer and rank it. I am lost after this. 
Because if I use a table visual, with values as top_ranks and rows as customer name. it gives proper ranks for every customer. But in lineplot, when I use customer name in the legend, it messes up.

@Swam80 Okay,  instead of using a separate measure for each metric, you can create a more generic solution that dynamically adapts to the selected metric.

Rank_Per_Customer = 
RANKX(
    ALL(dim_customers[customer_name]), 
    [Selected_Metric_Value], 
    , DESC, Dense
)

Top_N_Customers_Metric = 
CALCULATE(
    [Selected_Metric_Value],
    FILTER(
        [Rank_Per_Customer] <= [N]
    )
)

In the above code, [N] is a parameter that you need to define based on the top N customers you want to display in the line chart. You can set this parameter in your model or use a slicer to dynamically change it.

Now, you can use the Top_N_Customers_Metric measure in your line chart. Configure the line chart as follows:

• X-axis: Date from the date table.
  • Y-axis: Top_N_Customers_Metric.
  • Legend: Customer Name.

With this setup, the line chart should dynamically adjust based on the selected metric in the slicer. You only need to create the Rank_Per_Customer and Top_N_Customers_Metric measures once, and they will work for any metric selected.

Let me know if this works for you. @ me in replies, or I'll lose your thread!!!  
Note:
If this post is helpful, please mark it as the solution to help others find it easily. Also, if my answers contribute to a solution, show your appreciation by giving it a thumbs up
Best Regards,
Dallas.

Nope, didnt work. IT gives all customers same value.
I tried one manual alternative, date on x axis, Selected_Metric_Value on y axis, legend as customer name. AND on customer_name filter I did topN filter option, so I set top 5 and in "by" option i used Selected_Metric_Value. It works.

But I wanted to know if using measures canwe do it. Like I want to apply a Parameter slicer so that I can vary the N in top N. Now i have manually set N as 5

@Swam80 Let's modify the measures to make it work more dynamically with a parameter slicer.

You can create a parameter table to store the value of N and then reference that parameter in your measures.

ParameterTable = DATATABLE(
    "Parameter", STRING,
    {{"TopN", "5"}}  -- Set the default value of N here
)

Modify the Rank_Per_Customer measure to use the parameter:

Rank_Per_Customer = 
RANKX(
    [Selected_Metric_Value], 
    , DESC, Dense
)

Modify the Top_N_Customers_Metric measure to reference the parameter:

Top_N_Customers_Metric = 
CALCULATE(
    [Selected_Metric_Value],
    FILTER(
        [Rank_Per_Customer] <= VALUES(ParameterTable[TopN])
    )
)

Now, you can use the ParameterTable[TopN] in a slicer to dynamically change the value of N. This way, you only need to adjust the parameter to control the top N customers in your line chart.

Ensure that the ParameterTable[TopN] column format is set to Whole Number in the Power BI model for correct filtering behavior.

I hope this provides the flexibility you want, allowing you to vary the N using a parameter slicer.

Best Regards,
Dallas.
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@Swam80  you can use the RANKX function.

First, create a new measure that calculates the metric value for each customer.

Order Count per Customer = CALCULATE([Order Count], ALLSELECTED(Customers))

Create another measure that ranks the customers based on the selected metric. 

Customer Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Customers), [Order Count per Customer], , DESC)

Create another measure that filters the data based on the selected metric and the top N customers. For example, if you want to filter the data based on the order count and the top 10 customers, you can create a measure like this

Top N Customers Order Count = CALCULATE([Order Count], TOPN(10, ALLSELECTED(Customers), [Order Count per Customer]))

Create a line chart with the date table on the x-axis, the selected metric on the y-axis, and the customer name on the legend. Then, add a visual-level filter to the chart that filters the data based on the customer rank and the top N customers.

Let me know if this works for you. @ me in replies, or I'll lose your thread!!!  
Note:
If this post is helpful, please mark it as the solution to help others find it easily. Also, if my answers contribute to a solution, show your appreciation by giving it a thumbs up
Best Regards,
Dallas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors