Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sgandolfo
Regular Visitor

Display a hierarchy without blank lines

Dear community,

I have a question with regards to displaying hierarchical data in a Matrix in Power BI. I have the following issue:

sgandolfo_0-1714400414154.png

The screenshot aboves shows a member Regulated Revenue that is part of an Enterprise Level dimensional table, that has the following structure:

sgandolfo_1-1714400572844.png

The members that are displayed under the Regulated Revenue are members of another dimension that holds a roll-up of accounts to reporting lines, i.e. Fair Margin is a roll-up of individual accounts in a separate Account dimension that is not linked to my Enterprise Level dimension.

The Enterprise Level is a dimension that is constructed to build the hierarchy. However, there is a Domain dimension that holds the Enterprise Level as an attribute on the lowest domain level. All data in my FACT TABLE is 'booked' on a domain and via a relationship between the both tables, the Enterprise Level is retrieved and aggregated using the hierarchy that is defined in the Enterprise Level dimension.

The issue I have is that I don't want to have the blank line show up between the Regulated Revenue subtotal, coming from the hierarchy, and the Reporting lines. I have tried working with measures to calculate the Row Depth and Browse Depth and came to the following conclusion:

The Regulated Revenue subtotal has a BrowseDepth of 2 and a RowDepth of 1.

Is there a way to fix this issue? I have also tried to add another hierarchy level to the Regulated Revenue, i.e. let it roll-up to a PARENTH1 called 'Other', and in that case the blank line disappears. However, that causes the report to contain an unwanted subtotal for the "Others" parent and I can't seem to find a way to fix that and remove the "Others" subtotal so that only the children are shown.

My boss absolutely wants a report where the Regulated Revenue and the Non-Regulated Revenue are shown as members of the same level of the Enveloppe Gerable level. So the report should look like this in a way:

Enveloppe Gerable 
 Local 
  Reporting Line 1
  Reporting Line 2
  Reporting Line …
 Group 
  Reporting Line 1
  Reporting Line 2
  Reporting Line …
Regulated Revenue 
 Reporting Line 1
 Reporting Line 2
 Reporting Line …
Non Regulated Revenue
 Reporting Line 1
 Reporting Line 2
 Reporting Line …

Anyone has some ideas on how to solve this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Stefano

1 REPLY 1
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sgandolfo 

Consider creating a new column in your data model using DAX, which concatenates the hierarchy levels you wish to display together. This way, you can control the display of your hierarchy in a single column, potentially bypassing the issue with blank lines. You'll need to ensure this column is sorted correctly in your model to maintain the hierarchical order.

Or you can explore if any custom visuals available in the Power BI Visuals Marketplace better suit your needs for displaying hierarchical data without the issues you're encountering with the default Matrix visual.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors