Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JaromG
Frequent Visitor

Discussion: Alternative DAX Functions for Faster Performance

Hi everyone,

I haven't found any good articles on this and maybe it is because its a "It Depends" scenario. So I wanted to have a discussion with you all. What dax functions perform faster than a comparable alternative. For example, I recently learned that SUMX is a row level function and is slower than doing a Calculate(SUM()). The assumption for this discussion is that whatever functions we are comparing CAN be achieved using either method. I just want to know some dax function alternatives that could speed up the performance of my models! 

Thanks everyone and look forward to your feedback/responses. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Imrans123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Personally. I think it's more important to figure out your data model before going into DAX. For example when you are creating VAR in a fact table, your DAX Evaluation will be much slower than if you were doing it on a dimension table since the row count is much lower on the dim. Or any other DAX evaluation for that matter. Reading up on star schema will help you there and I think that's one of the major contributors to more efficient evaluations

Another thing I recently disocvered while working with large datasets is using integers to filter rather than string. For example, let's say my dataset has sales and then customers that are either Gold, Silver or Platinum tier. If I want to filter via CALCULATE, rather than using Customer[Tier]="Platinum" or Customer[Tier]="Gold"... I'll just create a custom integer column on transform data where Silver=1, Gold=2, PLatinum=3... and then Customer[Tierint]=1 and so on.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Imrans123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Personally. I think it's more important to figure out your data model before going into DAX. For example when you are creating VAR in a fact table, your DAX Evaluation will be much slower than if you were doing it on a dimension table since the row count is much lower on the dim. Or any other DAX evaluation for that matter. Reading up on star schema will help you there and I think that's one of the major contributors to more efficient evaluations

Another thing I recently disocvered while working with large datasets is using integers to filter rather than string. For example, let's say my dataset has sales and then customers that are either Gold, Silver or Platinum tier. If I want to filter via CALCULATE, rather than using Customer[Tier]="Platinum" or Customer[Tier]="Gold"... I'll just create a custom integer column on transform data where Silver=1, Gold=2, PLatinum=3... and then Customer[Tierint]=1 and so on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors