Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Aa1

Dax query restricts saving the project

Hello,

I recently encountered a problem I cannot solve. Maybe you guys have an idea?

I use Power BI Desktop as free to use.
The application is connected to a postgresql database (version 16.3 for Windows x86-64), which runs on localhost.

The db itself is filled with several interconnected tables (star schema). 

While setting up the connection between postgres and PowerBI I did not load the tables in PowerBI itself but maintained a "live connection" to postgres. 
For quering my data directly I use the "Dax query area" in PowerBI. 
The moment I execute a query (some Evaluate-Statement) PowerBI refuses to save my project. 
Every time I try to save the project I get a message stating my path is invalid, which is definitely not the case.
Do you know this instance and do you have a solution?

Thanks a lot in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
Aa1

Cheers,

thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately your tips are not the solution.

The characters of my file path do not exeed 260 characters.

There are no special characters in my file path.

A simple restart does not help either.

I set up the exact same database on two several PCs and on both clients I experienced the same problem.

I want to stress again that the second I execute code in Dax Query Area, PowerBI will not let me save the project.

When not "touching" the Query Area and just working with diagrams there is no problem at all 🤔

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aa1 

Ensure that the file path where you're trying to save the project does not exceed the maximum length supported by Windows, which is 260 characters. This includes the full path from the drive letter to the file name and its extension.

Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn

Verify that your file path does not contain any special characters that might not be recognized by Power BI Desktop. Sometimes, characters that are valid for file system paths are interpreted differently by applications.

Power BI Desktop might not be aware of changes made with other tools or applications until it's restarted. Try closing and reopening Power BI Desktop to see if this resolves the issue.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors