Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adoalan
Helper III
Helper III

Data from one or another column but merged

Hi,

I have two columns with the same name (Business Region) in two entities (contact and account)

If it s a contact then Business Region from contact is populated and Business region from Accoutn is blank and the way around.

CONCATENATE = SELECTEDVALUE(account[Business Region]) & SELECTEDVALUE(contact[Business Region])

I need basically to concatenate the data. Also to mention is direct query not import of data.

Can you help please.
Thank you

More details:

So we have 3 entities: contact, account and donation.

When the amount from donation is linked to contact (so it's a person who donated) then it is populating the Business Region for contact but is blank for account.

And when the donation is coming from an account (a business/organization etc) the business region is populated for account entity and is blank for contact.

I basically need to get those two fields of Business Region populated in one field.

So as example let s say:

Jon Doe donated 6 euro and he is from London (only contact Business Region field is populated as this is contact)

and Analytics ISO company donated 7 and location is Belfast (only account Business Region field is populated as this is account)

My output should be:

Donor Business Region Amount

Jon Doe London 6

Analytics ISO Belfast 7

Hope now makes sense.

19 REPLIES 19
adoalan
Helper III
Helper III

Here you go @tamerj1 

adoalan_0-1679331418124.png

@adoalan 

Ok. This is because the active relationship has the cardinality that does not help this calculation. I have no idea what columns are involved in which relationship but let me give it a wuick guess. Please try something like. 
Business Region =
RELATED ( contact[Business Region] ) &

CALCULATE (

MAX ( account[Business Region] ),

CROSSFILTER ( nfp_donation[column1], account[column1], NONE ),

USERELATIONSHIP ( contact[column2], account[column2] )

)

So CROSSFILTER - NONE to deactivate the active relationship and USERELATIONSHIP to activate the inactive (1 to 1) relationship 

BB7EF4C8-B6FD-4029-B79F-D84D4B258CD5.jpeg

adoalan_0-1679392150339.png

adoalan_1-1679392163466.png

Hi @tamerj1 

Still doesn t like it

And this is what I get if I create a calculated column on donation

adoalan_2-1679392741695.png

@adoalan 
It won't work this way. Let me know if we can connect via teams or zoom to have a deeper look at it.

Hi @tamerj1 

how to find you on teams?

Cheers

@adoalan 

Today is not possible. What is your time zone?

@tamerj1Dublin Ireland

@adoalan 
Can we connect now?

Yes, How to find you on teams

Hi @tamerj1 

That didn t worked.

Any ideas now that you know exactly what is in there?

Cheers

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @adoalan 
"If it s a contact then Business Region from contact....."     What is "it"?

@tamerj1Hi,

Sorry let me try again:

So we have 3 entities: contact, account and donation.

When the amount from donation is linked to contact (so it's a person who donated) then it is populating the Business Region for contact but is blank for account.

And when the donation is coming from an account (a business/organization etc) the business region is populated for account entity and is blank for contact.

I basically need to get those two fields of Business Region populated in one field.

So as example let s say:

Jon Doe donated 6 euro and he is from London  (only contact Business Region field is populated as this is contact)

and Analytics ISO company donated 7 and location is Belfast (only account Business Region field is populated as this is account)

My output should be:

Donor                    Business Region          Amount

Jon Doe                 London                           6

Analytics ISO         Belfast                             7

Hope now makes sense.

Many thanks

Hi @adoalan 

as long as you are working at fact table (donation) transaction level then the simplest approach is to create a [Business Region] calculated column in the donation table 

Business Region =
RELATED ( account[Business Region] ) & RELATED ( contact[Business Region] )

adoalan_0-1678873484020.png

@tamerj1HI,

I Doesn t work. I can find the contact table but is not finding the account table.

Any suggestions

Many thanks

@adoalan 
You forgot to close the closing bracket after Business Region. Once added you need also to detele the very last closing bracket at the end of the line

I tried @tamerj1 and still doesn t work

adoalan_0-1679309420777.png

I checked my relationship and is correct, not sure why is not working

@adoalan 
Would you please paste a screenshot of your data model?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.