Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Patterns - Product results by year after launch date.

Hello Community,

I am trying to figure out a way to create a measure(s) to calculate product results by year...following its initial launch date.

The reason I have put "DAX Patterns" in the title is because this issue reminds me of something seen in the great DAX Patterns book/website however, I don't see this pattern mentioned in any of the literature. I am currently using the Month-related calculation patterns mentioned here in my model. 

Here is a simple example of the situation:

Product 12345678910 launched in March 2018. I want to see sales volume by year, for years 1, 2, and 3. The pattern here would be:

Year 1 = March 2018 to February 2019.

Year 2 = March 2019 to February 2020.

Year 3 = March 2020 to February 2021.

I have sales volume results that go beyond year 3 but I do not need to see them - just the first 3 years of sales volume by year. I have thousands of products that have launched anywhere between 10/1/2017 to the current date and their results, so this would need to be dynamic based on launch date.

Is there a pattern I can use to achieve the results I want to see?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, this does not achieve what I am looking to do. However, I found a solution on SQLBI that layouts how to solve the issue mentioned above.

For those who might visit this post in the future, the link is below.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/yearly-customer-historical-sales-in-dax/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, this does not achieve what I am looking to do. However, I found a solution on SQLBI that layouts how to solve the issue mentioned above.

For those who might visit this post in the future, the link is below.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/yearly-customer-historical-sales-in-dax/

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You have to create bucket of the month or year like I have done in this example 

Customer Retention Part 3: Period Of Stay – Cohort Analysis: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-3-Period-Of-Stay-Cohort-Analysis/ba-p/1393410

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.