Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahoeter
Regular Visitor

DAX Measure Based on Group and Range

Hello, 

I am attempting to write a DAX expression to assist in assigning a 1-5 value based on the performance of a representative, with 1 being "Far from Met" and 5 being "Significantly Surpassed." There are three different groupings: Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie.

For example:

ahoeter_0-1663259752018.png

So what I am looking to accomplish is assigning a 1 to 5 value based on the groupings illustrated above in one visual. 

I thought of this: IF('sheet name [Group] = "Alpha" && 'sheet name[Range] <425, 5 and so on for 4, 3, 2, 1 and repeat for the other two groups, however it's not working the way I thought it would.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - if you have any additional questions, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@ahoeter 

You need to combine the 3 lookup tables into one adding a column [Group]. On the other hand, the range column shall be splitted into two [Lower Range] and [Upper Range] integer data type columns. You can do that comfortably using power query or DAX. 
the new dimension table can then be linked with fact table via the [Group] columns from both tables. It would be a many to many relationship. If this is ok with you then I can guide you through the next step which is creating the measure. 

@tamerj1 

Thank you for the response. 

I would like to see how the measure can be created. 

Additionally, if we are getting the data from a singular Excel table with a VLOOKUP for the grouping, would we still have to combine the three lookup table as you indicated in your initial reply?

Thanks!

@ahoeter 

I cannot answer this unless I know how does your fact table look like?

ahoeter
Regular Visitor

Sorry - corrected visual attached.

ahoeter_0-1663260224877.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors