Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wilm117
Helper I
Helper I

Creating one slicer as a search tool for data derrived from multiple columns

Hi Everybody,

I am working on a function in which team-managers should be able to search people based on their position and certain skills they possess in order to match people to the open position for which they search new people.

I get my data from an Excel sheet and it looks like this: 

EmployeePositionSkill 1Skill 2

Skill 3

1Asset managerNetwerken aansturenMotiveren
2Asset managerAnticiperenSamenbindend leiderschapVerbindend Leiderschap
3Policy directorAnalyserend vermogenIntegriteitOntwikkelen medewerkers
4Policy directorMotiverenNetwerkenaansturen
5Asset managerMotiverenNetwerkenIntegriteit

I want to create 1 slicer that helps to find the combination of skills that the team-manager wants. So, if I select 'Netwerken', 'Aansturen' & 'Motiveren', I only want to see this combination (underscored for employee 1 and 4) of skills. also it shouldn't matter in what order the skills are handed to me, as examplified in the table above.

Currently, if I make this selection, I get results for all people that possess one of these skills, but not the selectoin of these skills combined, which causes me to find a lot of people that don't have the combination of the skillls I am searching for. 

I tried various things with DISTINCT and UNION formulas, but so far I wasn't able to get the correct result.

Do you have some advice for me? 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Wilm117 , One way is unpivoting the table in power bi and use.

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

Another is to create a skill table, join with all three columns. Create three measures, 2 with use relationship to activate inactive joins.

Then add these measures to get final outcome

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

I tried your second option too, but also this doesn't provide me with my desired outcome. i tried various things and the same 2 things keep happening:

1. i make a selection of multple Skills it shows me all people that possess one of these skills, rather than the combination of these skills for one person 

2. The whole page turns blank.

Could there be another way to fix this? 

I already tried the unpivoting, but this doesn't create the function that only the combination of selected values pops up. I get the whole list of people that just have one of the selected skills, while I only want to see the people that posess ALL of the skills that i select in the slicer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors