Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RJ95
Frequent Visitor

Creating Dynamic Normal distribution Bell Curve in Power BI

Hi All,

I want a normal distribution curve for products launch price variance Year on Year for multiple locations. However I want the distribution curves to be dynamic depending on filters selected (Locations, Product Types etc.). Is there a way to achieve this using DAX measures that allows for dynamic Mean/Standard Deviation/Normal distribution of Year on year price variances?

Visually I am looking for something similar to below with dynamic curve based on filters a set with with each colour being a different location and the data points being Year on Year price variances of each product:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

RJ95

6 REPLIES 6
Robert14358
Resolver III
Resolver III

i am having the same issue and havent seen anyone help yet

Socksguy

Has there been any update since this post in 2019? I am looking to add a dynamic normal distribution bell curve to my report page. 
I am attempting to visualize employee performance across 4 departments under one facility. 

I have measures created for dynamic standard deviation and mean. These valuse of the measures will change with my slicers when I filter from Facility to individual departments to supervisors to associates. 

I can create a calculated column for normal distribution pdf values. However, when applying a slicer the column does not recalculate the pdf normal value with the new sample size and therefore, will not alter the bell curve. 

As far as I know, a measure in BI will not accept a column as an X value because it is looking for a sigular value for each calculation. So... using a measure for the normal pdf values is out.. 

Is there a way to create a "dynamic calculated column" that when I filter to a department, It will recalculate the normal pdf vaules based on the new sample size using only that departments performance outputs?

MRuiz-FDC
Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution for this? 

I am looking for this also.

RJ95
Frequent Visitor

Year LocationProductPriceYear on Year ActualYear on Year % variance
2018LeedsA100  
2018LondonB300  
2019LeedsB200  
2019LeedsA1202020%
2019LondonB2106030%
2020LeedsB1802010%
2020LeedsA903025%
2020LondonB2312110%

The above dataset is an example of what I would be using. I want each data point on the curve to represent the normal distribution of the Year on Year % variance for each product in a specific location. With each curve representing a different location. Obviously the dataset I will be dealing with will have far greater number of products to plot on the curve however I was wondering whether it is possible to present this all using measures? 

Can I use Year on Year % variance as a measure within the Norm.Dist function to plot the data points for multiple products in a Power BI visual?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, check out the NORM.DIST function. All of the parameters can be dynamic measures.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/norm-dist-dax

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors