Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create pie chart with categories using a measure

Hi,

I have data with customer ids where each row represents transaction info. I am supposed to find average transaction per day for each customer. There is a slicer for date where I can choose last 30 days, or last 7 days. According to the chosen dates, avg per day gets changed. If I just use existing table, there exists an issue of correct average. For example, a customer did 10 transactions in only 5 days among our chosen 30 days. We get average here 10/5 instead of 10/30. The only way to solve this is by creating a measure using another table called calender, having one to many relationship with date of existing table. It solves the problem.

Now, I need to make a pie chart with categories like less than 0.5 transaction per day on avg, less than 1, less than 2, more than 5 etc. How can I create such categories using just the measure "avg per day". As we can not make a column in the table as avg per day because the avg values in the table doesnt change with slicer date (as discussed before eg, last 30 days or last 7 days). I could not figure out how to make categories in pie chart using just a measure here. Kindly help me in this!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thanks for your reply. My problem is that, lets say in your example, the table you created will give me same result each time as when I choose different dates in my date slicer (like last 30 days or last 40 days). It can not be placed as a table with fixed values you just showed. This is my measure which say avg transactions per customer.

avg per day = DIVIDE(COUNTROWS('existing table'), DATEDIFF(MIN('Calendar'[Date]),MAX('Calendar'[Date]), DAY)+1)
I have a slicer in my dashboard which chooses from Calendar'[Date] and change the values in dashboard for different customers. How can I end up with a pie chart that will categorize less than 2, more than 2, more than 5 etc with changed values each time depending on date slicer?

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

One way to go about this is to create a SWITCH measure for categorizing. Then you can use this measure as a slicer or create a table containing the categories (if you want them to your pie chart legend).

Here I created a measure for classifying my data. E.g. I want to know more than 300, less than 99 and less than 299. 

Data:

ValtteriN_0-1678606176471.png

Dax:

Category_ =
var _sum = SUM(Cakes[Sums])
Var _test =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
_sum>299,"Category 1",
_sum<99,"Category 2",
_sum<299,"Category 3")
 return
_test

End result:
ValtteriN_1-1678606214176.png

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.