Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SriKandimalla
Helper I
Helper I

Count how many occurances of a string in a column in reference with a different column of strings

I have a column with folder paths, The root folders are sub divided and the divided folders are again subdivided and so on. i have some long strings in the column.

Now, I have to get the count of how many times a particular path has occurred in the whole column.  

Example: I have the data exactly like this with couple hundered thousands of rows. The main path "c:\SHARE\Sample" must be counted couple hundered thousand times as it will be occurred in all of the other paths.

Folder 1 will be counted little less than the main path and so on for the folder 2,.. etc. 

Capture.PNG

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I can add the coulmn in power query or DAX. So both are an option for my case.

Thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @SriKandimalla ,

Try this, create column using the code below.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Column = 
var _string = Counter[Column1]

var _countS = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Counter),FILTER(Counter,CONTAINSSTRING(Counter[Column1],_string)))

return _countS

strin.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors