Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jyoung_auto61
Helper I
Helper I

Can a Lookupvalue value itself?

I have a list of user roles in the Role column in Table A, unfortunately that column has a mix of the names of the Role Groups and the different roles in the groups. i.e that column contains Accounting (role group), AP Clerk, AR Clerk (individual roles). I need a column in this table that is all Role Groups.

In a seperate table Table B - I have the Group, Role and abbreviation separted out, like this.

jyoung_auto61_0-1681178549301.png

I started with adding a new column like this.

new column = LOOKUPVALUE('Table B [Group], 'Table B [Role Name], 'Table A' [Role] ???

However I need the value in the new column to remain the Table A [Role] value if it doesn't match the criteria in the lookupvalue. 

How do I do that? 

FYI, learning DAX. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jyoung_auto61 ,

I suggest you to try code as below to create a calculated column in Table A.

Group =
VAR _GROUPLIST =
    VALUES ( 'Table B'[Group] )
VAR _GROUP =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table B'[Group] ),
        FILTER ( 'Table B', 'Table B'[Role Name] = EARLIER ( 'Table A'[Role] ) )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table A'[Role] IN _GROUPLIST, 'Table A'[Role], _GROUP )

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jyoung_auto61 , try earlier

Power BI DAX- Earlier, I should have known Earlier: https://youtu.be/CVW6YwvHHi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8AO3_vmlY&t=17820s

maxx(filter('Table B', 'Table B [Role Name]=  'Table A' [Role]), 'Table B'[Group] )

Thanks for the suggestion but that gave me the same result as the lookupvalue I tried. The cells that already have the group name come back blank. I need the cells with the group name to come back with the same group name that they have.

Hi @jyoung_auto61 ,

I suggest you to try code as below to create a calculated column in Table A.

Group =
VAR _GROUPLIST =
    VALUES ( 'Table B'[Group] )
VAR _GROUP =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table B'[Group] ),
        FILTER ( 'Table B', 'Table B'[Role Name] = EARLIER ( 'Table A'[Role] ) )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table A'[Role] IN _GROUPLIST, 'Table A'[Role], _GROUP )

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors