Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

JChai
Frequent Visitor

Can I build my own DAX function for Power BI?

Hello Power BI folks,

I got a quick question about developing my own DAX function. Is it possible to write my own custom-built DAX function for Power BI? If so, is there a documentation that provide the steps to build the function? Also, Is DAX Open-Source? Can I access the source code of DAX function such as COUNTX(), COUNT(), etc?

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @JChai 

Unfortunately, you can not create your own custom-built DAX function but I believe that you can use the current functions to find a good solution for your question.
BTW, you can check the details using the DAX studio to see what happens when you run a DAX expression.

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Badges.jpg

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog | YouTube 

JChai
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the comment Vahid.

I have been using DAX Studio, but I need a way to custom build functions (can be a Python, PowerShell, C# functions that can embed into Power BI) for our report builders to make their live easier as DAX functions are not easy to debug & to troubleshoot misused DAX functions created by my folks.

Can this be a Power BI idea for the Microsoft Power BI development team to look into, like building a SDK for this? This will definitely make my folks life easier as my team can better debug & maintain our own source code that act as Power BI measures to solve different tailored issues. 

Hey @JChai 

Yes, you can submit that as an idea on :https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Badges.jpg

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog | YouTube 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors