Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

FrankWB

Calculation groups or Unpivot

Hi,

I have a data set of monthly Stock data. It is a flat table of about 250,000 lines.  Every line contains, besides the basics: date, stockID, price, 100 featurs of the stock. Things like Pricer/Earing ratio, market cap, etc.

My task is to create measures such as TopN based summations based on these features.

I have two choices (maybe more):
1)  Unpivot the data and then have 25 mio lines with two columns feature_name and feature_value

2)  Create a placeholder measure for every feature abd the use calculation groups (in the Tabular Editor) to create the requiered measures on SELECTEDMEASURE.

Which one would you chose and why ? 
I'm particular worried about performance issues. Also the restrictions of using calculation groups.

Many thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @FrankWB currently there is "testing period" for DAX optimization for free, check link below. Join and hopefully you will have chance to test solution / get answer about your model for free. I am not sure is paid version already working.

I would say this is great example to be candidate to get "optimal" answer to your question. Hope this help in finding your solution.

https://www.daxoptimizer.com/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors