Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nari1998
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating three day, weekly and monthly usage aswell as average weekly usage

Nari1998_0-1712937849349.png

Above is a test table shown.

However the real table i have contains the followig columns App Name (which contains different app names), Subscription level (which contains the subscription level per app), Billing interval, Monthly actions (contains the value of how many monthly actions each app has based on its subscription level), Available (contains how many actions per app is available on each day), Datum (which contains the date on which all the previous information is registered/logged).

Note: On every first day of the new month an amount of actions are given to each app based on its subscription level and they decrease during the month when used over the days in the month. I now need to have the following calculations for daily usage, three day usage, weekly usage aswell as average weekly and monthly usage.

Im not great with DAX and would like to get some help on this please!

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Nari1998
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you @quantumudit for the help! .

Are these dynamic or static measures?

Also these measures will be used to look  how much average remaining gets left within the month (maybe only the average weekly usage) so that we know if aditional steps/actions need to be purchased or not. So are these measures conform those requirements?

quantumudit
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

No, the weekly average measure tells you about the average "total available" value in the last 7 days (from the current date in the context). It doesn't subtract itself from any number to show you a remainder kind of value. Please let me know in detail what exactly you want to achieve with an example.

Best Regards,
Udit

🚀 Let's Connect: LinkedIn || YouTube || Medium || GitHub
Visit My Linktree: LinkTree

So the thing is one every first day of the new month an amount of steps/acions per app (based on their subscription level) is given it can be 1200 0r 500. Everyday the amount decreases because it is used. So if yesterday i had 300 steps for App 1 and today have 290 steps  the usage is 10. And so i want to calculate the usage over 1 day, 3 day and week as well as the average weekly usage within the month. This because we want to know how much is used and how much we still might have left during the month in order for us to know if we need to purchase addiotianl steps or not for this month. Because it keeps decreasing, so before the amount of available steps becomes 0 we need to know when to purchase additional. I hope im a bit clearer now, if not , let me know!

And thanks for the help

quantumudit
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Nari1998 

In that case, there should be a column "used" to get how many steps are used from the "Available". In the dataset screenshot, I can only see the "Available" column, so the calculations are done accordingly... It seems that the desired result requires an additional column in the dataset.

Kindly correct me if I am mistaken somewhere in understanding the problem.

Best Regards,
Udit

Yes it should be based on additional Used column, i have one that calculates the daily usage only. My apologies for not mentioning it earlier!

quantumudit
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If thats the case, then could you attach a sample dataset and send it? so that it would be easier to calculate and understand the requirements better.

Best Regards,
Udit

I wasn't able to attach the file, because it gave me error, so here is a link to a folder which contains the sample dataset in excel and .csv format: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1to-uWXUxMKHeFlOTTEkShUI2ZUHepZ4f?usp=sharing

quantumudit
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Great. Thanks for the dataset. Let me check & do the maths and get back to you.

Best Regards,
Udit

quantumudit
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

You can create the DAX calculations as follows:

A measure for total available or, daily available value:

Total Available = SUM(Apps[Available])

A measure for the 3-day running summation:

3-day Running Total = 
CALCULATE(
    [Total Available],
    DATESINPERIOD(Apps[Datum], MAX(Apps[Datum]), -3, DAY)
)

A measure for the 7-day (weekly) running total:

Weekly Running Total = 
CALCULATE(
    [Total Available],
    DATESINPERIOD(Apps[Datum], MAX(Apps[Datum]), -7, DAY)
)

A measure for the 7-day (weekly) moving average:

Avg Weekly Total = 
AVERAGEX(
    DATESINPERIOD(Apps[Datum], MAX(Apps[Datum]), -7, DAY),
    [Total Available]
)

A measure for the monthly running total:

Monthly Running Total = 
CALCULATE(
    [Total Available],
    DATESINPERIOD(Apps[Datum], MAX(Apps[Datum]), -1, MONTH)
)

Here is the snapshot of an example table

quantumudit_0-1713119429829.png

I hope this will help. Please let us know in case of anything. Also, you can leverage the DAX patterns in the provided calculation if you need to calculate alternatives like monthly average, 3-day average, etc.

Best Regards,
Udit

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudo 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors