Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating case handling time for open and closed cases back in time

Hi there,

I am having difficulty making a calculation for our historic case handling times (i.e. how long it takes for us, on average, to work on a case). I need to make these calculations for both open and closed cases. I believe that my current calculation method works well for calculating the current status of case handling times, however the problem is with the historical times. I cannot figure out a way to get the DAX to see that a case, at some point, changes from open to closed.

I cannot share the data I work with, but I have given an example of what it looks like below. 'Open/Closed' expresses the current status of the case. The 'Date' column is linked to a calendar table.

CaseNrAttributeDateOpen/Closed

Received01-01-2022Closed
10001Created01-01-2022Closed
10001Closed29-03-2022Closed
10008Received01-02-2022Open
10008Created02-02-2022Open
10010Received03-02-2022Closed
10010Created03-02-2022Closed
10010Closed09-02-2022Closed
10012Received12-12-2021Closed
10012Created13-12-2021Closed
10012Closed04-03-2022Closed
10015Received04-11-2021Open
10015Created04-11-2021Open

The calculation of time for open cases is done through two measures:

Open cases setup = 
        var selected_date = MAX(Date1[Date])
        var Tabel1 = ADDCOLUMNS(

VALUES('Historic Cases'[CaseNr]),

"@received_date", CALCULATE(MIN('Historic Cases'[Date]), 'Historic Cases'[Attribute] = "Received" || 'Historic Cases'[Attribute] = "Created") )

var Tabel2 = ADDCOLUMNS(

Tabel1,

"@casehandlingtime", DATEDIFF( [@received_date], selected_date, DAY)

return
calculate(AVERAGEX(tabel2, [@casehandlingtime]))

This then feeds into the following measure:

Historic case handling time = 

VAR currentdate = MAX(Date1[Date])

CALCULATE( 'Historic Cases'[Open cases setup], Date1[Date] <= currentdate,
     'Historic Cases'[Open/Closed] = "Open")

The red part at the end here is where I believe my problem is. This column is 'static' - it tells me that the case is open/closed now, but it can't tell we what the case was two months ago. The reason that this is a problem is that a case might be closed now, but was open two months ago. I need to show the development of case handling time month-month on a line graph. The current DAX only includes cases that are still open. The case handling time for, e.g. february, will be wrong, because cases that were open in February, but have since been closed will not be included in the calculation for the months before February.

Is there something that I can add to the first measure to make it recognise the changing status (open/closed) of a case?

I hope this explanation makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

Measure =
var _select=SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Open/Closed]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[CaseNr]=MAX('Table'[CaseNr])&& 'Table'[Date]<=_select))
var _last=IF(
    MAX('Table'[Date])<=_select && _1="Closed",MAXX(FILTER( ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[Date]<=_select&&'Table'[CaseNr]=MAX('Table'[CaseNr])) ,'Table'[Date]),BLANK())
return
_last

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1655270220658.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

ManguilibeKAO
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

In order to solve your issue, I need some clarification on the meaning of your data: could the same case be closed multiple times or be opened multiple times?  For example, in your data, the case 10008 is open two times. the case 100010 is closed two times.

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.