Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Broderskap777
Frequent Visitor

Calculate amount based on substring, show value on matching row (in a measure)

Hi, 

I am trying to figure out if there is any way to get the row values from one "Transaction Number" to a another "Transaction Number" in the same column.

For example, I have a transaction number that have som form of amount. Sometimes, there are transactions that have the identical number but start with a "C". The C stands for "Correction" and I would like to get the values from the ones that start with "C" and show the results in a measure but on the row with the corresponding number without a letter. Is this possible to do as measure? 

Broderskap777_0-1652895704967.png

Thank you 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Broderskap777:

New Measure = 
SUMX(
    VALUES('Table'[Transaction Number]),
    VAR _current_tr_num = 'Table'[Transaction Number]
    VAR _correction = "C" & _current_tr_num
    VAR _result = CALCULATE([Amount Measure],'Table'[Transaction Number] = _correction) 
    RETURN
        _result
)

SpartaBI_0-1652898936298.png

2022-05-09 22_36_04-Power BI Workspace Datasets License Permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png  SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Full-Logo11.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Broderskap777:

New Measure = 
SUMX(
    VALUES('Table'[Transaction Number]),
    VAR _current_tr_num = 'Table'[Transaction Number]
    VAR _correction = "C" & _current_tr_num
    VAR _result = CALCULATE([Amount Measure],'Table'[Transaction Number] = _correction) 
    RETURN
        _result
)

SpartaBI_0-1652898936298.png

2022-05-09 22_36_04-Power BI Workspace Datasets License Permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png  SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Full-Logo11.png

Thank you both for the quick replies. Unfortunately, I can’t get any of the codes to work since I misread my own data. The numbers are not identical, but the first 0 is replaced with a "C" e.g. 

Broderskap777_0-1652902874762.png

For your code @SpartaBI , I tried to alter the code like this (for the second variable): 

"C" & LEFT(_current_tr_num,LEN(_current_tr_num)-1) .. But I might be getting the logic wrong. 

And for your code @tamerj1  I couldn’t get "selectedvalue" to work (it was greyed out and not found by intellicense) so I replaced it with "hasonevalue", but the code is returning blanks. 

I apologize in advance if the solution is simple. but I am a beginner in DAX.

@Broderskap777 replace the LEFT with RIGHT 🙂

hahaha it's amazing how the brain can fail you at times :')

thank you, worked like a charm!

@Broderskap777 my pleasure 🙂

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Broderskap777 

please try

NewMeasure =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( TableName[Transactio Number] ),
    CALCULATE (
        IF (
            RIGHT ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Transactio Number] ), 1 ) <> "C",
            CALCULATE (
                [Amount],
                FILTER (
                    ALL ( TableName ),
                    TableName[Transactio Number]
                        = "C" & SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Transactio Number] )
                )
            )
        )
    )
)

Thank you both for the quick replies. Unfortunately, I can’t get any of the codes to work since I misread my own data. The numbers are not identical, but the first 0 is replaced with a "C" e.g. 

Broderskap777_0-1652903003725.png

For your code @SpartaBI , I tried to alter the code like this (for the second variable): 

"C" & LEFT(_current_tr_num,LEN(_current_tr_num)-1) .. But I might be getting the logic wrong. 

And for your code @tamerj1  I couldn’t get "selectedvalue" to work (it was greyed out and not found by intellicense) so I replaced it with "hasonevalue", but the code is returning blanks. 

I apologize in advance if the solution is simple. but I am a beginner in DAX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors