Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DylanJohanssen
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Customer Purchasing in two distinct time periods

Hello,

I have a table (Invoice) that has customer account number (customerAccountNumber), invoice total (TotalAmountBase) and date of purchase (InvoiceDate). I am trying to calculate a few columns to ultimately come up with a distinct count of customers and revenue that have purchased in the past R12 months and also in the R24-R12 month time period. I want this to dynamically change with the date. This is what I have:

R12DistinctCustomer = 

Var CurrentDate = Today()
Var R12Date = DATE(YEAR(CurrentDate),MONTH(CurrentDate)-12,DAY(CurrentDate))
Var Result =
CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(Invoice[customerAccountNumber]),
FILTER(invoice,Invoice[invoiceDate] >=R12Date && Invoice[invoiceDate] <= CurrentDate)
)
Return
Result
 My result for this measure is 3,469 distinct customers.

R12 Revenue = 
Var Result =
CALCULATE(
SUM(Invoice[totalAmountBase]),
ALLEXCEPT (invoice,Invoice[customerAccountNumber]),
FILTER(invoice,Invoice[invoiceDate] >=R12Date && Invoice[invoiceDate] <= CurrentDate)
)
Return
Result
 My total revenue for this column is $131,328,749

R24DistinctCustomer =
Var R24Date = DATE(Year(CurrentDate),Month(CurrentDate)-24,day(CurrentDate))
Var Result =
CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT(Invoice[customerAccountNumber]),
FILTER(invoice,Invoice[invoiceDate] >=R24Date && Invoice[invoiceDate] <= R12Date)
)
Return
Result
 my result for this column is 1,363 distinct customers

R24 Revenue = 

Var R24Date = DATE(YEAR(CurrentDate),Month(CurrentDate)-24,DAY(CurrentDate))
Var Result =
CALCULATE(
SUM(Invoice[totalAmountBase]),
ALLEXCEPT (invoice,Invoice[customerAccountNumber]),
FILTER(invoice,Invoice[invoiceDate] >=R24Date && Invoice[invoiceDate] <= R12Date)
)
Return
Result
 my result for this column is $24,471,456

I now want to create a column of distinct customers that have purchased in R12 Revenue time period AND the R24 Revenue time period which I created with this formula:

R 12 AND 24 Revenue = 
IF(AND(Invoice[R12Revenue]>0,Invoice[R24Revenue]>0),SUMX(invoice,Invoice[R12Revenue] + Invoice[R24Revenue]),"0")
my result for this table is $155,800,204 which is the sum of the R12 Revenue column and the R24 Revenue column.

I would expect a figure equal to or lower than the R24 column number ($24,471,456) at the largest.This new column should be a union of the R12 and R24 columns if there are purchases in R12 time period and R24-R12 time period and instead it is including all entries whether they show up in R12 OR R24-R12.

I then need to create a column that would show me a distinct customer count of thenew R12 and 24 Revenue column that are > 0.
Help?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to manage two new measures that compute R12 revenue and Previous R12 revenue. I then added the following measure to compute the total if a customer purchased in R12 and in Previous R12 time period. The new measure will return a zero if they did not purchase in BOTH timeframes. Just in case someone is looking to do the same.

R12ANDPRIORR12REVENUE =

IF(AND(Invoice[R12Revenue] >0,Invoice[PriorR12Revenue] >0), SUMX(invoice,Invoice[R12Revenue] + Invoice[PriorR12Revenue]),0)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DylanJohanssen , better to create measure in such case

Rolling 12 Sales =
var _max = maxx(allselcted(date),date[date]) // or today()
var _min = date(year(_max), month(_max)-12,1)
return
CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(date, date[date] <=_max && date[date] >=_min))

Rolling 12 before 12 Sales =
var _max1 = maxx(allselcted(date),date[date]) // or today()
var _max = date(year(_max1), month(_max1)-12,1)
return
CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(date, date[date] <=_max && date[date] >=_min))

For the new column, you can sum up the data will add for 12 month in each row

Rolling 12 Sales column =
var _max =[date] 
return

Rolling 12 before 12 Sales column =
var _max1 = [Date]
var _max = date(year(_max1), month(_max1)-12,1)
return

I was able to manage two new measures that compute R12 revenue and Previous R12 revenue. I then added the following measure to compute the total if a customer purchased in R12 and in Previous R12 time period. The new measure will return a zero if they did not purchase in BOTH timeframes. Just in case someone is looking to do the same.

R12ANDPRIORR12REVENUE =

IF(AND(Invoice[R12Revenue] >0,Invoice[PriorR12Revenue] >0), SUMX(invoice,Invoice[R12Revenue] + Invoice[PriorR12Revenue]),0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors